Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon 7870 Driver Causing Graphics Glitch

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
See what DriverMax suggests http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/
Please note that you can only download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" box.

You have most likely tried HIS but here it is in any event http://www.hisdigita...load1-695.shtml

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I downloaded and it detected a new driver. I updated, but the issue still persists. Guess I am stuck with this one unless I change graphics card.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
This is an odd one I must admit :unsure:

As an asides we can check your PSU output so you can at least rule it out (or in) as the cause.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
SpeedFan results:

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No issues with the Speedfan results :thumbsup:

Do some gaming and check them again as the results will be more realistic, for your future reference I have attached a PSU tolerance table so that you can check that your readings are ok;

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok so I played a little bit of WoW, and ALT+TABBED out of the game after playing for 30 mins and took this shot immediately. Things ok still?

Posted Image

If it's worth mentioning, my PSU is SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80. Newegg listing here:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151095

Edited by Ech0es, 09 May 2013 - 04:09 PM.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
So I ended up formatting my drive again, so I can test a few things (Plus I was planning on it anyway).

I downloaded and installed driver version 8.982.0.0 from 7/27/2012 for the 7xxx series. I had no glitch or any problems. Then I downloaded the latest drivers. I installed, first with CCC. The glitch returned. Then I rolled back drivers. Problem went away. Then I installed the new drivers again, this time, with no CCC or any other components. Just the install manager and AMD driver. The problem returned.

So it seems the old drivers work well. And that no CCC or with CCC is not a problem. And also no other software installed but Firefox and the AMD drivers. So not a conflicting software. Least we're narrowing down. I wish I knew what was causing the glitch as soon as I upgrade to the latest drivers.

Edited by Ech0es, 10 May 2013 - 01:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update Ech0es :thumbsup:

Speedfan results are fine so no concerns there.

Stick with the drivers that bring you stability until the next ones are released and try them.

What many people are of the impression of is that they must have the latest drivers, this is often a misconception.
Driver updates are often released to address known issues and unless you are having that particular issue you do not need the update and installing the said driver can actually create the very issue it is intended to resolve.

One of the tools that I often use for troubleshooting is PCPitstop and that will often suggest updated drivers in the results, I never suggest that the OP updates any driver that is not relevant to any issue/s that they are having, this approach to my knowledge has never let me down so far.

Roll back the drivers and enjoy the cards good performance and remember the old adage "if it ain`t broke don`t fix it"

As an asides other important software such as the OS and AV programs such as Avast & the many others available should always be kept up to date to keep your computer performing to the best that it can while ensuring that it is also secure and keeping out the bad guys.

Some information regarding driver updates http://lifehacker.co...date-my-drivers
You will note that the author Whitson Gordon also has the "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" take on things (it is a well known saying and there is no plagiarism going on here :D )

I hope that things stay stable with the rolled back drivers and please keep us posted on how things are going or if there is a new driver (hotfix) released specifically to address this rather odd behavior.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

I do wonder, why this is only happening to me though. I can't find anything on it really. Do you think the card may be defective? I bought it back in March, so should I go through HIS site and see if I can get it replaced?

Would it have something to do with the PCIe slot? Just trying to think of any possible things that can cause the problem.

The card itself is big, about 11 inches. It barely fits in my tower, sitting on top of my HDD cage. I'm sure that's not an issue but I dunno.

:confused:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome Ech0es and thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Based on what we know I would say that this is a driver issue and not hardware related, this makes it unlikely that the retailer would accept an RMA of the item as the card does function correctly albeit with older drivers.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I'd like to add now, as I just found out...

I had this "arrow" glitch since Dec. 2012. I saw I posted a thread about this on another computer forum thread dated as Dec. 2012. I forgot I made that thread until now and did not realize I had this issue since 2012. Being in Dec. 2012, I had a different graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD 6770). So that probably proves there is nothing wrong with the card I have now, but more of a driver issue. Though I was using a driver from 2012 then, and still had a problem.

Though, when they do release a new driver, I'm sure the issue will still be present. :\

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Most peculiar, do you have a link to the thread so that we can see what fixes were tried.

I see that you have had no luck with this on the W7 forums either http://www.sevenforu...side-games.html

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
There were no fixes in that thread, except the one user told me to turn down the speed of my mouse. It didn't go anywhere past that. But noticing that thread from 2012, and the fact I had a different card at the time, I guess kind of proves my current card is not faulty. But possibly the driver.

Yep, no luck on the Seven forums either. I guess I can just hope for a driver release that fixes this.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Here is a picture of the firefox tearing, at its worst:

All across my whole browser. This is the kind of problems I have (though at times it's only a small amount), that and the arrow glitch.

Edited by Ech0es, 28 May 2013 - 01:48 AM.