Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless not showing up

• Please log in to reply

SmilinJusBecuz

SmilinJusBecuz

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Earlier today my internet seemed to go down. I had left my laptop on and when I went back to it there was a red X showing not connection. I checked my Samsung tablet and it doesn't show any networks available. I am able to connect using a cable directly from the modem but not by wireless on any device. I get the error that says to check the cable but its plugged in.

What I do know:
Im using a netgear wgr614v7
the 3rd light does not come on (all the rest work fine)
My wireless network does not show up on my laptop or any other device.

Any suggestions

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello SmilinJusBecuz

Have you tried resetting the router using the button on the back of it (some may require the use of a straightened paperclip being inserted into the a reset hole).

Another thing to try is turning off the router for a few moments and then restart it.

SmilinJusBecuz

SmilinJusBecuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, I did try both of those options but it still didn't work. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
It is possible that your router has expired and needs replacing.

Have you tried testing the LAN Path to Your Router as detailed in the user manual;

You can ping the router from your computer to verify that the LAN path to your router is set up
correctly.
To ping the router from a running Windows 95 or later:
1. From the Windows toolbar, click on the Start button and select Run.
2. In the field provided, type Ping followed by the IP address of the router, as in this example:
ping 192.168.1.1
54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614v7 Reference Manual
7-6 Troubleshooting
April 2006
3. Click on OK.
You should see a message like this one:
Pinging <IP address> with 32 bytes of data
If the path is working, you see this message:
Reply from < IP address >: bytes=32 time=NN ms TTL=xxx
If the path is not working, you see this message:
Request timed out
If the path is not functioning correctly, you could have one of the following problems:
• Wrong physical connections
— Make sure the LAN port LED is on. If the LED is off, follow the instructions in “LAN
or WAN Port Lights Not On” on page 7-2.
— Check that the corresponding Link LEDs are on for your network interface card and
for the hub ports (if any) that are connected to your workstation and router.
• Wrong network configuration
— Verify that the Ethernet card driver software and TCP/IP software are both installed
and configured on your computer or workstation.
— Verify that the IP address for your router and your workstation are correct and that the
addresses are on the same subnet.

SmilinJusBecuz

SmilinJusBecuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok here is an update... if i unplug it for awhile like 5 hrs then plug it back in it seems to work fine for about 30-45 minutes then the port lights come on even though there are no cables plugged in and my internet icon turns amber and I no longer have a wireless signal.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
It is possible that the router or it`s power adapter are overheating, next time that it happens feel how hot the router and adapter are before you turn them off at the wall socket.