Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corel Photo House launch error XP Avast! solved

• Please log in to reply

KGHN

KGHN

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
May 2013
I switched from AVG free to Avast! 8 Free to get familiar with it, so that I can better support my clients who use it. My old Corel PhotoHouse 3 stopped being able to launch. Sometimes it said "encountered an error and had to shut down". Sometimes the error message is "SmartHeap Library Mem_bad_pointer". (The message depends on whether I have certain legacy modes enabled.) I bought Photo House 5, but it has the same problem.
I sent a message the the Avast! support crew, and the tech's help narrowed the problem to the Avast! 8 Free's Behavior Shield.
I was examining the Behavior Shield settings and decided to try adding photohse.exe to Trusted processes by using the Browse. I had to do the two versions individually. Now I can launch either with the shield enabled.
In the Avast! user interface, choose ANTIVIRUS / Behavior Shield / Settings / Trusted processes. The Browse button makes it easy to find the full pathname of the application. Then click Add, and OK.
KGHN

Advertisements