Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install Realtek Audio Driver

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I installed the VIA audio drivers to see if it'd work, and yeah. It replaces the High Definition Audio by Microsoft. But when I install Realtek, it doesn't replace HD Audio.

Posted Image

I uninstalled VIA so I can get the information you want. And yes I am sure on the motherboard model. Taken from Speccy:
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model GA-970A-UD3 (Socket M2)

Hardware IDS:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0441&SUBSYS_1458A014&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0441&SUBSYS_1458A014

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I installed the VIA audio drivers to see if it'd work, and yeah. It replaces the High Definition Audio by Microsoft. But when I install Realtek, it doesn't replace HD Audio.

Posted Image

I uninstalled VIA so I can get the information you want. And yes I am sure on the motherboard model. Taken from Speccy:
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model GA-970A-UD3 (Socket M2)

Hardware IDS:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0441&SUBSYS_1458A014&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0441&SUBSYS_1458A014

Hi,

From the device ID's you have VIA High Definition Audio and that explain why you cant use the Realtek driver.
For me there is only one explanation you have a different motherboard, Speccy can be wrong, its software it can fail.

Can you try to access the UEFI or BIOS of the board and check if you can find the model name?
If you have a screen like this:
Posted Image

try pressing the F9 key to see if it opens a System Information screen containing the Model Name.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Speccy isn't wrong. I know what board I bought. I have an e-mail with the receipt, and here is a photo of the box it came in:

Posted Image

I'll go through the BIOS and see if I can find anything else that displays the model name. Then I will come back and edit.

Edit:
There were no options to display system information. F9 was system recovery, Delete for BIOS settings, END for Q-Flash, and TAB for post.

So not sure why on their site they list as Realtek chipset. Unless Newegg somehow put in the wrong board (which I doubt), they listed the information incorrectly on their site.

Can it have something to do with my Windows version? My friend burned Win7 Home for me and I used that to reinstall, using my old OEM key.

Edited by Ech0es, 10 May 2013 - 03:40 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Edit:
There were no options to display system information. F9 was system recovery, Delete for BIOS settings, END for Q-Flash, and TAB for post.

Press F9 only inside the BIOS if its similar to the image above, if it's UEFI I don't know if the model information is available.
Another option is wrong information on the Gigabyte site!

Edited by SleepyDude, 10 May 2013 - 03:43 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Just found the problem, there are 3 versions of this Motherboard model yours must be v1.2 link for the correct Gigabyte page with VIA HD audio codec.

Edited by SleepyDude, 10 May 2013 - 03:50 PM.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ah... Makes sense. Is the only way I can find out what revision I have is buy looking on the board itself?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Ah... Makes sense. Is the only way I can find out what revision I have is buy looking on the board itself?

Most likely. And the BIOS isn't true UEFI and probably will not give you that information.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I checked the board and I have Rev. 1.2.

Well that solves that. I guess I'll have to stick with VIA.

Thank you for all your help on this. Much appreciated.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I checked the board and I have Rev. 1.2.

Well that solves that. I guess I'll have to stick with VIA.

Thank you for all your help on this. Much appreciated.

Glad I could help. See you around. :thumbsup: