Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell 8600 issue

• Please log in to reply

Joea3380

Joea3380

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell 8600 , when I started this I took laptop to a friends shop to try and retrieve files from a crashed HDD. After 2weeks he said it couldn't be done. Not willing to except his answere I have done my own diagnostics. It has windows XP. At first on boot up it shows no hard drive found press F1/F2 and no HDD in bios. Have original reinstallation cd. Tried that. Did not work. Order new. 80 gig hard drive fom dell and installed. Hard drives not spinning. Computer tried to boot windows but stopped and give blue screen an error has been detected and has stopped to protect my computer. Now I have black screen again F1/F2. I can get to bios to change boot order. Ordered HDD to USB enclosure. Installed original HDD to my desk top, HDD spinning and all files can be opened?? Reid to boot thru USB by changing bios order using original HDd. Showed black screen with list of drivers then went to windows Xperia screen for a seconded and back to blue screen with a problem has occurred. I have swapped ram sticks - no help. I have a another new HDD but Leary of installing it. Don't know what else to do. I'm thinking mother board???? I know it's not worth putting any money In but is really a good learning tool. Would be great to fix for step son to use wifi/ blue tooth/ Internet Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Joe and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Well it does indeed sound like the mobo on the Dell box is down the toilet with not finding the HDD in the bios menu which could also be suggestive of a dead HDD but on this occasion I think not.

You have attached it to your desktop via an enclosure and found the files on the original drive because in such a position it would not be regarded as a primary boot drive.

The new HDD won't work in the Dell because, as I have said, and you also, is because the mobo is faulty.

The cost of replacing the mobo in the Dell would be more than a new laptop in terms of time and effort to do so.

I can't quite see where Xperia fits into this issue though.

Joea3380

Joea3380

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That was iPhone predictive text that I didn't catch. Should have been XP. Thanks for the help. Guess ill use the new 80gig HDD for an external storage. Or sell

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If it were me I'd keep the drive for storage.

A person can never have too many HDD's as either storage for personal stuff or backups.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Just for grins, try this:

Remove power connector
Remove all memory
Remove battery
Remove hard drive
Remove wirelsss card
Remove modem if it has one

These are all easily accessible.

Press and hold the power switch for 10 seconds.

Install memory and hard drive, nothing else.
Connect power and power up. See if the HD shows in BIOS Setup.

Even better would be to remove the CMOS (Coin Cell / Reserve) battery but it takes a lot more work. The Service Manual says:

Removing the Reserve Battery
1. Follow the instructions in "Preparing to Work Inside the Computer."
2. Remove the keyboard assembly.
3. Remove the hinge cover.
4. Remove the display assembly.
5. Remove the palm rest assembly.
6. On the underside of the palm rest, disconnect the flex cable from the ZIF connector.
7. Remove the two M2.5 x 4-mm screws securing the palm rest bracket.
8. While supporting the flex cable, lift out the palm rest bracket and turn it over.
9. Disconnect the reserve battery cable.