Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power adaptor desktop PC

• Please log in to reply

serida

serida

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I know a fair bit about computers but not power supplies, so please forgive my ignorance.
My sister & I purchased the same model of computer; a desktop all in one.

http://h10025.www1.h...001_title_r0001

A week ago she was unable to power hers on, having checked the connections & fuse & out of warranty called in a local engineer who diagnosed that the power adaptor was most likely faulty & he ordered one for her from e-bay on her laptop machine.
She forwarded me the confirmation from e-bay.I noticed the ratings are the same as the original power adaptor but the description is of an HP laptop adaptor not desktop. My obvious concern is if it is safe to use this replacement for an all in one desktop PC even though the adaptor states it is for a laptop?
I would be really grateful for any advice.
Thank you.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hi Serida

This is what he should have ordered....

http://www.mini-lapt...er-p-22125.html

Notice this line in the link.

Fits Models:

Compaq Presario All-in-One sg2-200
Compaq Presario SG2-210DE SG2-210ES SG2-210FR SG2-210NL SG2-210SC SG2-210UK

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi Serida

This is what he should have ordered....

http://www.mini-lapt...er-p-22125.html

Notice this line in the link.

Fits Models:

Compaq Presario All-in-One sg2-200
Compaq Presario SG2-210DE SG2-210ES SG2-210FR SG2-210NL SG2-210SC SG2-210UK

Thank you very much Wolfeymole for your reply.
Until my sister returns from holiday next week this will have to be on hold.I notice on my power adaptor, (remember, I have the same model) it states 65W & the output is lower than of the one in the link you posted.

Edit.
I have just found this, http://www.laptops-a...pter-p-337.html
It is EXACTLY the same as the one I have on my all in one.

Edited by serida, 10 May 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Did that adapter actually come with the all in one?

The reason I ask is because in your very first link to the HP site the model shows, if you scroll down to Power Supply, that it is indeed a 180w which is the same one that I featured in my link.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Wolfeymole,
Thanks again for getting back.
Indeed, the 65W power adaptor in the link I attached is EXACTLY the same one attached to my all in one. How odd is that. On another PC I downloaded the image, zoomed in & everything stated on the image is the same as my adaptor.
So that means I have a 65W adaptor for a 180w machine!! That suggests to me that the 65W power adaptor the engineer ordered for my sister must be okay after all.
Until my sister returns home next week I obviously cannot do anything but can only think that this can actually be used, what do you think, giving the fact that is the same adaptor I have.
Also in the confirmation e-mail it states it is 65W.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This is why I asked if the 65w adapter was actually in the packaging when you got the all in one.

If you compare the output ratings for these two adapters you will find that the 65w could be under powering the machine.

180w

Input: 100-240V
Output Voltage:
19V
Output Current:
9.47A
Power:
180w

Plug Size: 7.4mmx5.0mm

65w

• Input: AC 100-240V
  • Output Voltage:18.5V
  • Output Current: 3.5A
  • Power:65W
  • Plug Size: 4.8mm*1.7mm

Take note also that your All In One which is a Compaq Presario SG2-200 series is not listed anywhere in the 65w list of compatible machines.

Moreover your link states.

65W 18.5V 3.5A HP Laptop AC Adapter

Whereas my link states.

180w HP Compaq 6000 Pro All-in-One PC Charger ac adapter

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Wolfeymole,
Thanks again for your reply.
I can understand what you are saying about the different outputs.
As I have said my all in one came supplied with the 65W adaptor. I must be honest & say I never examined the adpator when I purchased the machine, just plugged it in & away I went.
it is only through these exchanges of posts you have made me aware of the differences. And no doubt had my sister's not failed I would be none the wiser.
Touch wood, mine is fine using the 65W adaptor.
I think the only thing I can do is contact HP asking why a 65W adaptor was shipped with a 180W machine. My sister & I both purchased the machines in March 2011 so obviously out of warranty.
I note the difference in plug size between the two, mine is the larger but definitely 65W with the output voltage of 18.5 & current at 3.5.
I'll get back to you when my sister returns & let you know what is happening.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please do Serida as all the evidence points to these adaptors not being the correct ones.

Did you actually obtain the machines directly from HP?

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Following my latest post to you I signed up to the HP forum describing what I have told you & asking why 65W adaptors are supplied with 180W machine. No responses so far.
We actually purchased these machines from amazon.
My sister returns Thursday so will post again then.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I await your reply. :)

Advertisements

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Wolfeymole,
Don't think you will deduce much from this post but will tell you anyway.
What I omitted to mention in my opening post I will tell you now.
When I spoke to my sister AFTER the engineer called & ordered the adaptor, I asked her if he checked the fuse on the mains plug.Apparently he had not done so so I suggested she swaps the fuse in her portable TV which is the same amp & put it in the PC plug. Lo & behold the PC powered up & thought the problem was a blown fuse. She then put the 'blown' fuse from the PC into the TV plug & the TV came on so obviously it was not a blown fuse. She left the PC on for about five hours, everything working as it should. She turned off the PC before retiring to bed. The following morning it would not power up, she reversed the fuses back to how they were & still nothing. She went abroad the following day & today she returned home. On her return there was the ordered adaptor waiting for her. Plugging it in nothing happened, (the plug was the right size) We then discussed the adaptors we were originally supplied with being the 65W adaptor.
She has read our posts & she can see the difference between the link I gave you & the one you posted. As I rarely use my all in one I said I would post her my adaptor to see if it works which would prove hers is actually faulty & then she would order the one in your link. Just before hanging up I asked her to try her original adaptor just once more. It powered up! She is understandably cautions of turning the machine off in case it does not come back on again. Am I right in focusing on that the adaptor that is the culprit? Why on earth would it power up again after having failed? She has packaged the new laptop adaptor up to ensure there is no confusion.
As I said, not much to deduce from this post but I really would be very grateful if you can think of anything else. We left it that I won't send my adaptor for the time being.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
For absolute clarity I would ring HP and get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

The number is 0844 369 0369 as listed here.

http://www8.hp.com/u...one-assist.html

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Wolfeymole,
Thanks again for getting back & for providing the number.
My sister told me she turned off the PC before going to bed & the following morning it powered up yet again but this time with many error messages & a start up repair had to be executed & the wholes system to be backed up to her external drive. Whether that is linked to the power adaptor, who knows. I wouldn't have thought so.
If she is successful in powering up the following morning, she will not contact HP, but the next time it will not power up she will do so.
I will let you know what happens & I sincerely thank you for your patience with me.

Edited by serida, 17 May 2013 - 06:59 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please do and you're welcome Serida. :thumbsup:

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Wolfeymole!
One week later & she has no problem whatsoever.
I feel like a right twit having posted all what I have only for the problem to apparently resolved itself.
Assuming you get e-mail notifications of updates I will leave it for a while to contact you as there is nothing to say.
I am sorry if you feel I have wasted your time. This really is strange!