Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power adaptor desktop PC

• Please log in to reply

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please do Serida. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Wolfeymole,
What started off as a good reply from amazon in response to my sister contacting them has now gone pear shaped so to speak. This is what my sister wrote:
''This machine had worked satisfactorily until the beginning of May 2013. Upon attempting to power up the machine at the mentioned date it would not do so, I checked for any loose connections, replaced with a new fuse & used another mains socket without success. Being out of warranty I contacted a call out Technician who on inspection, stated the reason it would not power up, was, because the incorrect power adaptor was being used, for this information I paid the Technician £50 plus.. I confirmed that this was the adaptor supplied with the machine & had been working reliably until the day the fault arose. He said the machine is an 180W & the power adaptor is 65W as clearly stated on the adaptor. With constant use, over a period of time the incorrect adaptor could damage the internal PSU.
I purchased this machine on the recommendation of my brother who also purchased the same machine on 18April 2011. Upon discussing this issue with him, he checked his power adaptor which is also 65W instead of 180W. On reporting my problem to an HP Technician,( and also mentioning my brother’s case stating that his machine is still working but that he rarely uses his in favour of another ) HP reported that he would have to contact them directly, if he encounters a problem with his machine. For this information, I paid a fee of £49, thinking that HP would be able to sort out my problem, but I was informed that the fee I had paid was relating to a software problem and nothing to do with a hardware issue .HP quoted a repair would cost up to £500 as it was out of warranty, though I could purchase a new computer from them with a discount.
I cannot see, why even if I could afford to pay for the repair to the machine, that I should be charged, given that the incorrect adaptor was supplied in the first place, HP are at fault for supplying it, and for the damage caused to my machine.
They did eventually send the correct adaptor however, shortly before receiving it I was successful in powering up the machine using the original adaptor. Upon receipt of the new one I powered down the machine, removed the old adaptor & replaced with the new one. The machine would not power up, when the adaptor lead is plugged into the machine, prior to switching the machine on, a green light should illuminate near the plug to indicate power to the machine. It does not illuminate which proves there is a fault with the internal PSU.
A week later the machine did eventually power up but with no green light at the rear. Since then I have not switched the machine off for fear it will not come back on again, so the machine is on day and night. I am not at all happy with this arrangement, but know if I switch the machine off, it will not come power up again, maybe for ten days or so,and a computer is essential to me for so many reasons.
I am extremely disappointed and upset with my purchase, as I had expected this item to be 100% reliable. I could understand if the fault was through wear & tear or if I had modified it but I feel that the purchase I made from your website is not worthy of your good name. I have made many phone calls to HP, in order to sort the problem out, but it appears that they will not state that they supplied me with an underpowered adaptor for their machine, nor will they acknowledge the damage that the initial incorrect adaptor has damaged my machine.

I await your advices.
Thank you.''

amazon reply that looked encouraging:
''Hello,

I've reviewed your email and understand that your device doesn't power up with the adaptor provided.

In order to answer your query efficiently and before I advise you further action on this issue.

We need to perform a physical check of the inventory in our fulfilment centre.

Therefore, I’ve requested that someone from our Fulfilment Team checks our inventory of Compaq desktop.

We’ll get back to you within 2 business days with an update on this.''

Their next response:
''Hello,

I'm writing to let you know that we've received an update from our Fulfilment Team about your order #026-2565669-9923553 :

"The product is currently unavailable."

If we can be of further assistance, you can reply directly to this e-mail.''

Next response:
''After reviewing our previous correspondence with you, please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding caused.

This situation was the result of a human error, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Please allow me to try to provide a resolution for you.

Upon reviewing your previous correspondence with us, I understand that the manufacturer provided you a replacement adapter but it failed to work.

I'll need to contact our Product Group to try to send out a compatible charger now after examining the exact problem of your device. If we can pass your name and address to the manufacturer they might be able to send one directly to you. Please let us know that we have your permission to pass these details on by replying to this e-mail.''

My sister's response:
''My machine is damaged because originally HP sent me a 65w adapter, instead of a 180w adapter. Please re-read my original email, you are not understanding my query, a damaged machine won't mend itself by sending me another adapter, the original adapter has damaged my machine, even the correct adapter does not fix my problem with the machine. I do not need another adapter, I now have the correct one, but because my machine has been damaged by using a 65w adapter, it remains damaged. I have explained this all in my original email to Amazon, I now enclose below a further copy of this, so that you can fully understand the problem.''

amazon's reply:
''I’m sorry to hear that you've had a problem with your item "Compaq Presario All-in-One SG2-210UK Desktop PC".

We’ll be glad to help as much as we can.

One option available to you would be for you to visit the manufacturer's website or contact them directly, as they may be able to offer troubleshooting and support with the issue you have with the product.

I've included the contact information for the manufacturer "Compaq" below:''

The latest response from my sister, although she has not actually sent this yet:
''Why do you tell me to visit the manufacturer's website or contact them directly, when I have stated to you that I have contacted them by telephone numerous times, and that they won't acknowledge that my machine has been damaged by sending me an adapter that was underpowered for my machine, and the fact that they have now sent me the correct adapter doesn't work properly, because my machine is DAMAGED, damaged, meaning that it doesn't work properly, due to their incompetence?

At this moment in time, or since I have emailed you regarding my problem with my purchase from you, you have been absolutely no help whatsoever. You are obviously not able to understand my emails, is there someone else within Amazon who is able to understand my query and who can answer it please?''

Apologies for a lengthy post.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It seems Amazon are trying to wriggle out of this issue by foisting you off to HP.

Under UK trading law the onus lies with the Seller which is Amazon and not HP, for example if I bought a Samsung TV from Tesco and it became faulty it is Tesco's legal responsibility to repair it not Samsung.

This is cast in stone in The Sale of Goods Act 1979, please reappraise it and look at Part II section 12 and Part V

http://www.legislati...k/ukpga/1979/54

Also you have no proof that HP have been incompetent in any way as you are presuming that HP sent the wrong adapters to Amazon.

I would contact Amazon again stating in detail the sections of the Act that I have pointed out.

You may also wish to instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks for your reply Wolfeymole,
This is the latest response from amazon:

''I have reviewed your previous correspondence with my colleague and I sincerely apologies for the delay in resolving your query.

I do understand that your Order No: 026-2565669-9923553 has now developed a defect, as you were supplied with an incorrect adapter. Also, I understand that you have already contacted the manufacturer with regard to this matter.

Upon checking on your above order, I can see here that your item is now out of warranty. As I do understand that you have just been made aware that an incorrect adapter was supplied to you, I have therefore personally contacted our escalations team to confirm with them if we can offer an out of warranty exception and have the item return to us for a refund.

This will need to be investigated and reviewed by our Escalations department. I will personally contact you again via email within 5 business days with an update. Please be aware that this is the maximum amount of time it will take for us to update you.

If you won't receive an update by then, please let us know by replying to this email and we'll assist you further.

I hope you'll understand that this additional period gives us the time to take right actions upon your order, under such situations so that the matter is resolved to your fullest satisfaction.

Please be assured that I will do my best to help you with this matter.''

This looks a little more encouraging however, if they are able to resolve this problem I would prefer it to be repaired as opposed to a refund given the amount of time I have spent on this machine remotely setting it all up. Do you think it is at all possible that amazon could request HP to repair the machine?

Thank you.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
To my mind what Amazon will be doing here is investigating this model to see how many other people have bought it and complained of the very same issue.

However they are still liable as the item was not fit for purpose at the outset.

With regard to a refund I would go for this rather than have it repaired because even though the faulty internal part may have been repaired something else could still go wrong.

If you take the refund, and you may also find a goodwill payment included in that for inconvenience, then all Amazon will do is claim against HP if HP did indeed supply the wrong adapter.

Amazon may also write the machine off as is sometimes the case regarding damage to a vehicle where the insurer feels it too expensive to carry out.

Also technology changes rapidly in the PC world and what you paid for the All in One then would buy you a lot more now.

The choice is yours Serida.

Wolfey.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

To my mind what Amazon will be doing here is investigating this model to see how many other people have bought it and complained of the very same issue.

However they are still liable as the item was not fit for purpose at the outset.

With regard to a refund I would go for this rather than have it repaired because even though the faulty internal part may have been repaired something else could still go wrong.

If you take the refund, and you may also find a goodwill payment included in that for inconvenience, then all Amazon will do is claim against HP if HP did indeed supply the wrong adapter.

Amazon may also write the machine off as is sometimes the case regarding damage to a vehicle where the insurer feels it too expensive to carry out.

Also technology changes rapidly in the PC world and what you paid for the All in One then would buy you a lot more now.

The choice is yours Serida.

Wolfey.

After an absence of six months of posting the problem has been finally resolved & mainly thanks to the advice you have given.
To cut a long story short while waiting to see what amazon would come up my sister wrote to HP & sent it recorded delivery explaining all the problems that have been mentioned in this thread. After waiting three months they failed to reply.
In the meantime amazon offered my sister £20 in cash or £40 in amazon vouchers, she accepted the latter, the case being closed with amazon.
My sister then found an HP address which was of the managing director or something similar. She explained everything that had occurred since May 2013.
In two days she received a reply followed up by a telephone call & texts to her mobile from someone who actually had a name who my sister could speak to each time.
Within a week the machine was collected, & to be examined to see if it could be repaired.
Within five working days the machine was returned, hey presto all working!
A new motherboard had been fitted.
I would like to sincerely express my thanks to you for being patient & helpful & without your advice I doubt it would have turned out like this.
Thank you once again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That is great news serida and I am sure that the wolf will be pleased for you and your sister, well done for seeing it through :thumbsup: