Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not boot at all from any CD

• Please log in to reply

Relemar

Relemar

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
The laptop originally had Windows 7 on it, the issue was it was freezing on the Windows logo at startup. It would freeze trying Safe Mode too and Last Known Good Config etc. So, formatted the hard drive with Dariks Boot and Nuke (I thought the MBR might be corrupt) and then tried installing Windows 7 and it won't let me go past the bit where the Windows 7 logo appears, same with XP disc.. crashes on the splash screen there too.

Tested hard drive, RAM, they're both fine. No peripherals are plugged in either. It basically crashes when booting from any CD on the splash screen. It just hangs. Any ideas what the problem might be? The hard drive is formatted, with no partitions on it, removed MBR and still can't boot from any CD or install any Operating System.

Summary: Blank hard drive, RAM & HDD are fine, won't let me install any Operating System (XP or 7) as it hangs on the splash screen after loading Windows files. Won't let me boot from Mini XP off Hirens Boot CD either.

Edited by Relemar, 10 May 2013 - 03:07 AM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Two questions Relemar.

1: Did you Save the setting to boot from cdrom before exiting the bios?

2: What exactly is written on the Windows 7 disk that you have?

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
1. Yes, it's booting from the CD. Remember the hard drive has been formatted anyway, so there's nothing on it.
2. It's Windows 7 Professional.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
But the thing is, is the disk a Retail disk, an OEM disk or a back to factory recovery disk from the laptop supplier?

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Its a retail disc. I've also tried a retail XP disc to no avail, it freezes on the 'splash screens' of anything loading from disc.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This could be suggestive of a stuck tracking lens on the optical drive spindle.

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

This could be suggestive of a stuck tracking lens on the optical drive spindle.

I've been running Hirens from disc for about an hour or so, playing about with testing software etc. It's not the CD drive. Something is causing it to hang, it hangs in the exact same place each time. On the Windows 7 logo bit, the XP logo bit. Even before I formatted it, it got stuck when booting from hard drive.. got stuck on the Windows 7 logo again.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok

Depending on the make of the HDD have you run any diagnostic software on the drive?

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Yep, there's no bad sectors and I've run Fujitsu's own diagnostic tool. Nothing wrong :P

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
How old is this laptop by the way?

Advertisements

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Probably 4 years old :)

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The other day I had a machine that was more or less doing the exact same thing and it turned out to be a faulty graphics card but without actually being hands on so to speak with your machine it would be hard to determine just what's wrong with it.

It could be anything ranging from bad memory, even though you say it's ok to a motherboard issue.

Unless other members can offer their opinions I would take it to a reputable PC repair shop so that he can diagnose the issue properly.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Relemar,

Can you post the Brand and Model of the laptop?
When you boot with the MiniXP did you got any error?

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Graphics card could be likely, it seems to happen when the colours appear of the XP/Windows logo. I'll stress test the graphics card. Remember, I've tested the memory alraedy and the hard drive.

What are the next to test? Thanks Wolfeymole.

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
It's a Toshiba, but forgot the model and I don't have the PC with me at the moment. When I boot with Mini XP it hangs just after 'Windows is loading files' screen. It hangs here with a real genuine XP CD too and hangs on the Windows 7 logo with a Windows 7 disc.