Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not boot at all from any CD

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Do you know the BIOS version the machine have?

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Even if you're using Linux live disk I think it needs the HDD to load files to.

Also you said "installing Windows files" where it crashed, is that after partitioning and formatting the HDD?

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Even if you're using Linux live disk I think it needs the HDD to load files to.

Also you said "installing Windows files" where it crashed, is that after partitioning and formatting the HDD?

It crashes 1 minute after its started to boot from the disc where it says 'LOADING Windows Files' and its a black and white screen. When I take the hard drive out it still crashes though. Why is weird! Live cds are run off the disc and loaded into RAM i thought?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

There is a BIOS update for the machine that changes the disk mode but before decide to update its better to check the actual version.

Another question can you boot with the Hirens Boot CD and run one of the included Dos disks like SeaTools for Dos?

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hi,

There is a BIOS update for the machine that changes the disk mode but before decide to update its better to check the actual version.

Another question can you boot with the Hirens Boot CD and run one of the included Dos disks like SeaTools for Dos?

The bios is AMIBIOS R1.00. Build Date: 12/18/06. At the bottom of the bios screen it says..

v02.59 Copyright 1985-2005, American Megatrends Inc.

Yes I can boot with hirens and I've ran Seatools and all comes back fine, I've tested every piece of hardware and everything is ok. I think if we update BIOS it'll allow me to change the disk mode and it will stop crashing! Thanks for all your help :)

Basically, the laptop works fine within the BIOS, Ultimate boot cd, hirens etc. Only crashes when you try and install XP, 7, Vista or run MiniXP, Ubuntu etc. It crashes on splash screens and just after Loading Windows Files. With XP it crashes just after its loaded ahcix86.sys.

Edited by Relemar, 11 May 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

With XP it crashes just after its loaded ahcix86.sys.

That tells me you need to use IDE mode for your HDD. I am sure it's in the BIOS.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

The bios is AMIBIOS R1.00. Build Date: 12/18/06. At the bottom of the bios screen it says..

v02.59 Copyright 1985-2005, American Megatrends Inc.

Yes I can boot with hirens and I've ran Seatools and all comes back fine, I've tested every piece of hardware and everything is ok. I think if we update BIOS it'll allow me to change the disk mode and it will stop crashing! Thanks for all your help :)

Basically, the laptop works fine within the BIOS, Ultimate boot cd, hirens etc. Only crashes when you try and install XP, 7, Vista or run MiniXP, Ubuntu etc. It crashes on splash screens and just after Loading Windows Files. With XP it crashes just after its loaded ahcix86.sys.

From the BIOS history:

;================================== H12YT R1.04 ==================================
; Author : Ji Xie
; Released DATE : 2006-07-13
; BIOS Ver. : R1.04
; BIOS file name: H12YT104.ROM
; BIOS checksum : 0723H
; M/B Ver. : H12YT1-BY-YNA REV:1
; Description : 01. Fix to support Merom B0 and B1 stepping.
02. Fix to open and choose HDD mode in bios.
03. Fix SATA mode change from AHCI to IDE.

The last Bios version is R1.08 you should try to update. If the machine doesn't have a floppy drive you need to create a boot cd with the update.

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Flashed BIOS to 1.04 and still crashing on either IDE or AHCI. I've tried flashing to 1.08 but it's not having any of it. I've tried booting with Windows 7 disk to install and still crashing just after 'Windows is loading files..' just where the Windows 7 logo appears. I'm now trying to install XP, and its crashed just on 'Setup is starting Windows' where the blue screen is 'Windows Setup'. It just stops doing anything, then CD stops spinning and then Num Lock etc freeze.

Can't update to 1.08 as it says ROM ID Incorrect.

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Tapped F5 when it says press F6 to load SATA drivers and then chose Standard PC with … i486 and it seems to have worked. I'm now 17% XP setup. Really don't know what the issue was, was hanging on Vista/7 but seems to have worked on XP! Crazy, do you know what was causing it?

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
No idea, just weird.

Advertisements

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Trusty old XP eh? Reckon I'll just do an Upgrade to 7 once I get into XP. It's installing now, nearly done! This has got to be the weirdest issue ever!

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
It's hung again! Was 60% done!!

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I wonder if it's memory problems. Do you have more than one stick installed? If so try installing on one stick then another if problems still exist.

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Ive ran Memtest86 for 1 hour. It's now crashing on 'Installing Devices' with 34minutes remaining.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Tapped F5 when it says press F6 to load SATA drivers and then chose Standard PC with … i486 and it seems to have worked. I'm now 17% XP setup. Really don't know what the issue was, was hanging on Vista/7 but seems to have worked on XP! Crazy, do you know what was causing it?

Its strange its like a problem with ACPI because it works when you disable ACPI by forcing Standard PC.

Laptops BIOS options are usually very limited does it have some option to load Bios defaults?