Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

The elusive hourglass

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Would someone please clarify for me the "micro-dynamics" of the hourglass icon on my XP pc?

On boot, after I click Start/ Firefox I see the hourglass for a second or two: then it disappears for many seconds: and then, frequently, it reappears – all before my home page appears. Often the homepage never appears, and I have to repeat the process before I find myself connected to the internet.

Is it normal for the hourglass to come on and go off? Or is that a sign something is amiss with my pc?

Is there a way, other than to see a steady hourglasss (or an absent one), to monitor the startup process --- to observe if/when the boot process has failed?

Not a crucial question, I agree. But I sure would appreciate an explanation.

...batpark

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The Egg Timer, as I would call it, is merely there as an indicator to people that system files and programs are loading up after booting up.

How long this lasts is down to how many programs are set to load on boot, memory size and also cpu speed.

To see what programs are loading go into All Programs/ Accessories and then select Run.

Type msconfig and look in the Startup Tab.

Hope this helps Bat. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
If I can chime in with a suggestion folks :D

The egg timer that Wolfey is referring to is indeed an activity indicator and what is happening when you open FF is your plug "n" play network devices are being checked, if it is an annoyance you can disable the function "how to below"

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2.Click Services and Applications.
3.Double-click Services.
4.In the Services list, right-click SSDP Discovery Service, and then click Properties.
5.On the General tab, in the Startup type drop-down list, click Disabled.
6.Click OK.

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Thank you both. Following your advice I looked at the programs that were loading in my Startup folder and was amazed. I am now combing many of them out.
Is there a smart way to identify each program? Or do I just have to explore what each does by running it?