Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD since December

• Please log in to reply

gordo55

gordo55

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

i am getting the infamous BSOD. I have scanned my memory but all seems to be ok. I have an issue with McAfee DLP and OAS which appeared 18 months ago and now I cant use any USB memory devices - but thats another problem.

I've attached the minidump if that helps. I'm running aLenovo G550 laptop with MS Vista Home premium 32 bit.

many thanks

Gordon

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I only looked at the first 4 but they all point to avp.exe, which is part of Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

Do you have more than one Anti-virus program running?

I'd suggest uninstalling Kaspersky and any others you currently have and install Microsoft Security Essentials. Test with that for awhile and see if that takes care of it.

gordo55

gordo55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

Many thanks for your help. The possible problem is that McAfee DLP and OAS have somehow been installed on the machine. I cannot unistall them so they are probably clashing with Kaspersky. Is there any way to get rid of the Macafee progs or should I remove Kaspersky and let DLP and OAS be my default security systems?

Cheers
Gordon

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
If I may chime in while Ztruker is offline;

To avoid potential problems that can be caused by stray AV files it is important that you use the correct uninstall procedure/tool/s http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS101331

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is OAS?

gordo55

gordo55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately i seem to have McAfee Agent, DLP Endpoint and Virus Scan Enterprise. The DLP endpoint needs a Password to get rid of it and the MCafee agent says that the system is using it . I've tried disabling it on the startup menu but its a relentless pain in the [bleep] and keeps reappearing. They were installed on my machine without my knowledge. The SLP endpoint stops me form using any external storage devices. I may just do a compete format and re-install my os and programs. thanks for your help with this one.