Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi Driver Prevents My Laptop Pc From Going To Sleep Mode After Using

• Please log in to reply

jpaul19

jpaul19

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm using Ralink RT5390R 802.11n WiFi Adapter and Windows 8, and after I use a torrent program like BT or utorrent (which works just fine) I am unable to put my computer to sleep. The screen turns black like it is about to go to sleep, but it keeps working really hard instead of going fully into sleep mode. Once this happens, the computer becomes totally unresponsive and I have to force shut down the laptop (HP Envy) by holding down the power button (otherwise it will just rev really high doing nothing forever - or until the battery dies).

I know it is my WiFi adapter that is causing the problem for two reasons: 1. this problem does not occur when I am able to use the torrent program with an ethernet cable (no WiFi) and 2. when i try to disable/re-enable the driver after using the program, the whole device manager window and the WiFi driver itself become totally unresponsive - at which point I have to restart the computer for the WiFi adapter to become functional again.

I have checked and changed the power settings, that was not the problem. I have also tried reinstalling the driver (though I may not have done that properly). I have searched a number of times for a solution to this problem, but have yet to see anyone else with the same problem. Maybe I just really suck at searching for solutions. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: jpaul19

Have you tried the Windows 8 diagnostic & troubleshooting tools http://h20000.www2.h...odTypeId=321957

As an asides jpaul19 are you aware of the risk of malware attack when you download torrents.