Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MIssing/not working - files/programs that came with pc, IE Help and Su

• Please log in to reply

Mich73

Mich73

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm not sure if I put this in the right place. I was using ccleaner today and did a scan for bad files. I noticed that alot of the programs that came with my laptop were showing up in the scan. I didn't hit the fix button on this scan as it caused concern.

I went to my Help and Support for windows and nothing loads. It says this topic cant be found. The laptop has that HP program (I forgot what it's called), where it checks the health of your pc, troubleshoots, gives me my warranty info. Maybe its called the HP Manager. I noticed this program was included in the scan I did.

When I went to my links on my windows (left mouse on start) button that pulls up the all programs and clicked on one of the HP help and support links under the folder a little earlier, it wouldnt load and said it was missing. I noticed as i hovered over it with my mouse the extension included something with the name rebecca. Under Security and Protection, HP Recovery Manager, it cant load and says a device attached to the system is not functioning. There is where I notice it shows the location of the file and at the end says rebecca.exe

It seems as if somehow these programs got jumbled up somewhere in my computer and the files are all over the place or removed but from what I see they are still showing in my unistall programs. I know not to remove these as I use/need them.

I was going to try to do a system restore to see if that helps, but there are no restore points.

I had some issues a few weeks back and came here to get help to get my computer cleaned up. I dont know if some of the programs we ran has a back up of my pc that might be helpful.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Mich73

While CCleaner is a very good software if used incorrectly it can cause you major issues, take care when using it.

Is the OS Vista or W7 and do you have an installation or system restore disk at all.

Mich73

Mich73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have windows 7. I don't recall if it came with a disk. It was new so if it's supposed to have one I have it around here somewhere.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As the computer is branded there may be a recovery partition on the HDD which means that you will not have been provided with an OS disk, the other alternative could have been that you were prompted to create a system restore disk on first boot when the computer was new.

Anyhow for now I suggest that you try running SFC in Command Prompt and just hope that you are not asked to insert an OS disk to replace corrupt or missing files, see option two http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html and http://www.sevenforu...and-prompt.html

Let us know how it goes.