Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

white screen

• Please log in to reply

losieniecki

losieniecki

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I have been reading through all the problems here and there are many similarities to mine but not exact. I have a compaq laptop that is running windows xp. I can get online and use it sometimes with no problem and sometimes it blips to a white screen immediately. I am currently running in safe mode and have not had a problem so far. As with what others have mentioned, sometimes it will clear itself and go back to the web page and sometimes not. This is something that started last week, sometimes I will need to re-boot and it will boot fine and other times straight to the white screen. So....to place myself in the long line of same question as others...anything I can try to do before taking it in somewhere?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: losieniecki

I have a compaq laptop

Please tell us which particular model name or number that the notebook is so that we can research the specifications, an example of just a few Compaq models http://www.amazon.co...k=Compaq&page=1

Does the issue only occur when you are browsing or does it also happen when you are gaming or watching a video.

The notebook being ok when in safe mode may suggest a driver issue as only the bare essential resources are used and this includes only using the Windows generic drivers.

Overheating is another possible cause so can I ask when was the last time that the notebook was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

losieniecki

losieniecki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is a Presario CQ56. And it will happen at any time...watching video, gaming, browsing and sometimes on startup. I am not sure when the last time it was cleaned. It was given to me just over a year ago.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Overheating can physically damage the notebook so I suggest that this is checked first, this based on the additional information that you have provided.
A tutorial to help you by HP but the principal is exactly the same + they also manufacture the Compaq brand http://h10025.www1.h...product=3927423

losieniecki

losieniecki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks...I will try the cleaning first then move on to the other, then go from there.
Again, Thanks so much. Will give you update as I go.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome losieniecki and thanks for the update :thumbsup: