Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue Screen of death - Bad_Pool_Header/PC shuts down and restarts

• Please log in to reply

PyraLynne

PyraLynne

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Just hooked up this computer last night. Its travelled with me from CA to TX and has been in the garage since August 2012. Was watching movies on the computer today when the screen went completely blue (no words) and I restarted it. Then I received the blue screen, did not catch what was wrong on that one. Restarted again to start in Safe Mode but a new blue screen came up and stated "BAD_POOL_HEADER". Ive been researching through my phone and found this forum, tried to do a couple of things based on other posts regarding this issue with no luck. Restarted the computer in Safe Mode and it crashed again. CHKDSK ran and i took a picture of what came up. pc shut down again, CHKDSK ran again and after the computer came up. Using it right now but about 10 mins ago it shut down and restarted on its own.

Also ran WhoCrashed:

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: DB91HBC1
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.80GHz Intel586, level: 15
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 3218968576 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2036670464

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Edited by PyraLynne, 11 May 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
:welcome: PyraLynne

Do you happen to know if Windows was fully updated and how much free storage space is available on the HDD.

See if restoring the computer to an earlier date helps;

1.Click Start
2.Click Programs, and then Accessories
3.Click System Tools and open System Restore

If you're unable to find System Restore and have administrator rights try opening the System restore through the run line by following the below steps.

1.Click Start
2.Click Run
3.Type: restore/rstrui
4.Press Enter

Let us know how it goes.

PyraLynne

PyraLynne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't think windows is updated on the machine. I've been trying all morning to get on it. Last night I attempted to run a chkdsk on the main drive and it made it to step 4 out of 5 & the PC shut down. So now I'm wondering if the power supply is dying. Its making a loud buzzing noise when I try to boot the PC up and it never starts up. Also I know the main hard drive is VERY full, I checked it when I first hooked up the PC and the pie was basically full. I can delete almost everything on that PC as it wasn't built by me or for my needs. It was built mainly for gaming by a friend. Right now I'm using my phone to reply so I apologize if it takes a lil time to respond.

PyraLynne

PyraLynne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The buzzing noise has stopped but now the monitor won't connect.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
I feel that the initial problem was caused by a lack of free storage space on the HDD, this will initially corrupt the data on the HDD and eventually cause the HDD to fail mechanically, this may have been the buzzing that you heard.

Can you provide more information about the computer, is it a notebook or desktop, custom built or brand name and if brand name provide the brand and model name or number.

Take as long as you need to reply but please wait until you also receive a reply back before posting again, this will ensure that no information gets overlooked.

PyraLynne

PyraLynne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its a Dell desktop that's been modified. Model Dell Dimension E520 and the monitor is still not working. It has power but its like the PC won't recognize it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts

Its a Dell desktop that's been modified. Model Dell Dimension E520

In what way has it been modified - has an add on video card been fitted for example.

and the monitor is still not working.

Do you get an on screen message saying "No Signal"
Have you tried another screen.

Your computer has 4 diagnostic LEDs on the front of the case, are any lit up and if so which one/s.