Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts off at random, suspect ATI HD5770 graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
This isn't a new topic for me as I have been having this issue for a few years. It goes away and then comes back. Lately it has come back with a vengeance and I think I have stumbled to a possible cause.

My computer will shut itself off at random (but not in safe mode), a dead shut off like somebody pulled the plug. About a year ago I wiped my computer clean and did a fresh install of windows 7, replaced the PSU, jiggled a few wires in the case and it has worked for awhile now.

Recently, the issue started up again and in the process of "jiggling the wires" I broke the connector on my SSD SATA drive.

Here is my system as of now.

Operating System:
Windows 7 Pro
System Specs:
Gibabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard
i-7 Quad core chipset
12GB Ram (6 sticks)
ATI HD5770 1GB Graphic Card
(new)Solid State Samsung 840 120GB hard drive for operating system
1.5TB drive for data/programs
(1 yr old) Corsair GS700 (700W) PSU
Realtek onboard sound

OK, that's the history.

I'm in the process of doing a fresh install of windows 7 to rule out any malware, etc. Right after I installed the drivers for my graphics card (downloaded latest ATI catalyst drivers), the dang thing shut off before it ever got back into windows (SAME ISSUE).

I rebooted, same thing: Third time I went into safe mode and disabled the graphics driver. Works fine now. Been using windows 7 2 days now re-installing all my software with no issues (graphics driver disabled). I have tried re-installing, rolling back and using the built in ATI 5770 windows driver and every time it shuts off (sometimes it will run for a few minutes first).

My question: is there anyway to tell if the graphics card is really dead or just a driver issue? I am willing to purchase a new graphics card and was looking at the ASUS Radeon 7770 but I don't want to repeat this again with a new card if its just a driver issue. Should I dump ATI and go the GEFORCE route?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hello Dynamite1969

Have you tried the video card in each pci-e slot to see if the issue is the same.

Before you ditch the card I suggest you complete the fresh install, fit the add on card and temporarily use the generic Windows drivers and then post back here when that is done so we can move on from there.

Just a FYI, some malware is so deep rooted that not even a full NTFS format will clear it, that is why seeking the help of the staff on the malware forums is always best.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks phillpower2

I have another topic in the malware section (from a year ago) but it never really led to an answer. We could never find anything.

I finished my install. I have been running using generic VGA drivers and it runs fine. By add on, did you mean a separate/different video card.

When I enable the graphics drivers for the 5770 and re-boot it crashes just minutes after getting into windows. If I re-boot back to safe mode and disable the drivers it works again.

I have also tried the card it other pci-e slots, same thing. Sometimes switching slots will keep it stable for while, so I can try that.

Also note: It does this even if that computer has been off for hours, I have both sides of the case off so I don't think it is a heat issue. I used to run checks on temp and never had trouble. When it works I have also been able to push the card hard (dragon age or obivion full settings) and it never died.

The issue just pops up at random, but lately it is every time I boot to windows. In the past, I've noticed that if I can make it about 10 min and it doesn't crash, I typically can do anything I want and it never dies. Seems to be something related to initial startup. Once it clears that hurdle, it does fine.

Maybe that info will help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are welcome Dynamite1969 :thumbsup:

I finished my install. I have been running using generic VGA drivers and it runs fine. By add on, did you mean a separate/different video card.

I was suggesting fitting the present ATI HD5770 card and using the generic Windows drivers, is this what you have done and what is providing your video to the screen at present.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes, that's what I have running right now. Generic VGA drivers and it is very stable, not in safe mode either.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Couple of things for you to run for us, please do not install any drivers that may be suggested but do let us know the results;
http://support.amd.c...uto_detect.aspx

http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/
Please note that you are only allowed to download 2 drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" box.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I ran that same tool on Friday (AMD Driver Detect) and it had me download the latest version of the AMD Catalyst.

13-4_vist_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

I ran that before and it didn't help and I did a full removal of all the software/drivers associated with it to get back to where I am now.

By keeping the driver "ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series" disabled, it prevents windows from automatically installing the driver. If I don't have that set, it will work until I re-boot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I ran that same tool on Friday (AMD Driver Detect) and it had me download the latest version of the AMD Catalyst.

13-4_vist_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

I ran that before and it didn't help and I did a full removal of all the software/drivers associated with it to get back to where I am now.

By keeping the driver "ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series" disabled, it prevents windows from automatically installing the driver. If I don't have that set, it will work until I re-boot.

This was why I suggested not installing anything but letting us know what was recommended.

What did DriverMax suggest.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I had 47 drivers that are out of date. I couldn't figure out how to get a print of them so I just took a few screen shots (attached)

drivermax3.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• drivermax1.JPG
  • drivermax2.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Nothing suggested for the video card!
How is the video card performing BTW.

Advertisements

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
With just basic VGA, it is doing OK but I am unable to do much because I get error messages that the video drivers need to be updated. For example, NERO for video editing and playing any games.

My screen resolution is also limited to 1024x768 (through HDMI to a 37" TV) and I normally use HDMI output on 1920x1080

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Also note that I deleted all the drivers associated with the ATI 5000 series cards so it wouldn't keep trying to load them.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Out of frustration I went to best buy and bought a XFX Radeon 7770 graphics card, brought it home and installed it and...

THE COMPUTER SHUT OFF AGAIN, BEFORE WINDOWS COULD EVEN START. IT WOULD NOT EVEN BOOT IN SAFE MODE.

I had to remove the card and install the old one to get it to start again.

I suppose that rules out the graphics card, or does it?

What would be next on the list, motherboard, RAM, Drivers? Where do I go from here. I'm really stuck on this one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Will step in until Phillpower2 comes back from the land of Nod.
Did you try the new GPU in both slots?
Don't kn ow our BIOS. What options for GPU configuration? can you manual select which GPU to use.

The voltage on the PSU would be the first thing to monitor providing you can run stable to get some readings.
Please download and run, > http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html include a screenshot in your reply.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks iammykyl

I have tried the GPU in multiple slots with no change. Even tried switching the PCI-e power connector to a different one.

My motherboard doesn't have an onboard video card so I don't remember seeing a setting for changing that in the BIOS. I can take a look.

I'll all try the link you sent tomorrow, I to need to head to the land of Nod.

Will that software pick up a voltage spike during start up or just collect data while running?

Any chance my PCI-e drivers are out of date or my BIOS needs an update (I've never done that).