Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Shuts off at random, suspect ATI HD5770 graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I went ahead and ran the scan before I head to bed

Attached Thumbnails

• hwmonitor.JPG

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts

My motherboard doesn't have an onboard video card so I don't remember seeing a setting for changing that in the BIOS. I can take a look.<br style="color: rgb(13, 41, 117); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(242, 242, 242);">

Your right, there will not be a setting to select.

Will that software pick up a voltage spike during start up or just collect data while running?

It will only collect Data with the system running.

Any chance my PCI-e drivers are out of date or my BIOS needs an update (I've never done that).

I am doubtful of that scenario as the rig has run OK in the past and the problems seems to be getting worse as time goes bye< Phillpower2 may have other avenues to explore

On the hardware side, will await results for the PSU voltage. You could also try swapping in a known working one with sufficient wattage and Amps. If the voltage does look suspect on the Corsair GS700you could see if a local store would test the CPU, under load> Some will do it for free or only a small fee.

Once you know you have clean stable power, then suggest the next test be the RAM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Thanks for your input iammykyl :thumbsup:

Temps and voltages are ok :thumbsup:

On next boot please go into the BIOS and select the MBs default settings, save (F10) and then Y to save the settings, once the computer boots up create a restore point and then update the SMBus and PCI-E Root port driver and then try installing the drivers for the video card and see how it goes.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
The answer isn't getting any clearer to me.

I reset the BIOS to default "fail safe-settings", created the restore point and installed the 2 drivers you mentioned. I then "enabled" the Radeon 5700 series driver that was already listed in "Device manager" and rebooted.

I was pretty excited when the machine booted up great and was working fine for over 30 minutes. I even did some minor video editing in Nero just to test the card's function a little (before, Nero would not work at all).

Then after about 30-40 minutes for no apparent reason (20 min after using Nero and sitting idle), the computer shut off (dead stop, like pulling the plug). I was getting into "personalize desktop" to change my screen saver when it happened.

On re-boot it failed to even get into windows, shut off before the windows 7 logo even appeared. That's how I left it for the night.

Might have been a lucky boot or maybe it tells you something. I can try again when I get home from work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
What were the video card drivers that you installed as in old off the disk or new downloaded ones.

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
They were the ones included in windows I believe. I had removed all the drivers using the Catalyst tool awhile ago. Somehow windows found this driver and I did run an update to make sure it was the latest windows had.

I could try to run the actual AMD/ATI driver tool again to get the most current Catalyst drivers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
As the issue occurs when you do not have the CCC installed it basically rules it out as the cause so reinstalling it will do no harm http://www.overclock...-driver-sweeper

As an asides Nero has documented cases of causing system crashes, an example http://forum.my.nero...showtopic=12061 and http://forums.cnet.c...ystem-to-crash/

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I installed CCC and currently have it up and running but the stability is questionable. Here are a few things I've noticed.

- Temps and voltages by hwmanager still look good
- It appears to be getting into windows now, but the last 2 times after 15 minutes of just sitting idle it died.
- The hard drive light appears to be much more active than normal (but that could just be my perception)
- I hear some strange electronic clicking noises just before it shuts down
- On one of the re-boots it started check disk on its own and that appears to stabilize things a bit more.
- I ran a manual check disk all all the hard drives during this (current) boot.
- I removed the 8pin power connector to the MB, separated it into a 4 pin connector and re-attached it: that seems to help a little

I am trying to update drivers by drivermax (2 a day from now on), starting with anything that has to do with SATA or PCIe or any controllers first

I have been running for about 20 minutes on this boot and things are still holding. Not sure what I did, just trying random things. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

- I hear some strange electronic clicking noises just before it shuts down

Possibly a HDD, check the sounds at the attached link to see if any are the same http://datacent.com/...rive_sounds.php

Your own troubleshooting is a sound approach and so I would continue with it :thumbsup:

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Its been awhile since I have posted an update. I got busy with other things and the frustration of my computer. It is basically useless at the moment since I can't rely on it booting up.

It still isn't working but the behavior has changed a little.

It does boot into windows now (75% of the time). Most of the time after about 5 minutes it shuts off. I can't identify any pattern. It doesn't seem to be any particular program or operation. Sometimes it will do it after just sitting idle.

Every so often, it will stay stable and I can use it for hours on end. If I re-boot the cycle starts over.

A few things I have noticed
1) It seems like on every other boot, it wants to run chkdsk and it finds several errors about orphaned files and some other stuff. Not sure why this keeps happening. Could something be wrong with a hard drive? Is something off in the registry?

2) Opening programs for the first time is much slower than it used to be. I run my operating system off a SDD but the programs are stored on a separate HDD.

3) Haven't ruled out the power supply but I don't have access to another one to check, I would have to go buy one and see if it helps. The only store around here is best buy and they only have corsair ones like the one I have in it.

4) Somebody mentioned RAM, how do I check that?

5) How do I check the motherboard?

There isn't much left after those things, I'm really stuck here.

Advertisements

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
oh and, the noises I was hearing didn't sound anything like those HDD problems. Just some minor clicks, like a stepper motor or something

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Back up all important data asap and then post back please.

As an asides, please do not reply to your own last reply as it may lead to important information being overlooked if one of the replies is on the previous page.

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that nothing is missed :thumbsup:

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Happy to report I think I may have found the source of my problem. THE PSU.

I wanted to inspect the power supply so I removed it from the computer, while I had it out I remembered I still had the old power supply that I thought was bad a few years ago. Just to see what would happen I put it into the system and fired it up. ALL my issues have gone away.

1) It boots rock solid now, 5 re-boots and not a single fail so far.
2) The startup speed of programs is extremely fast now, like it used to be.
3) No more funny noises coming from the case

I'm not 100% positive it is solved, but so far so good. I'm in the process of updating all the drivers (2 a day) with drivermax just to be sure.

On a side note:
The only issue I have left is probably something to post in another forum, but my AVG software is telling me I have "no active components". From the little reading I have done, this is a common issue and maybe I should switch to a new anti virus (free) software.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Thanks for the update Dynamite1969 :thumbsup:

Hopefully you have resolved the issue and if you have well done to you <_<

I used to like AVG years back but it has become too problematic and demanding on system resources, I now stick with Avast free on my computers but would also recommend MSE which is also free and like Avast it is very good and not demanding on resources, please be sure to uninstall AVG with the correct uninstaller as left over files can make the computer unstable when the new AV software is installed.

AVG removal software http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

Dynamite1969

Dynamite1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks for all your support and ideas Phillpower2. My computer has been running stable for several days now, oddly enough on the power supply I replaced a few years ago because I suspected it was bad.

I don't know if I got lucky and jiggled the correct wire or if it really is my PSU but at least it is working again.

I gave AVG the dropkick after reading the recommendations from the geek to go page on virus software. Sadly, I have been using them for years but they got to big and commercial for the do it yourself techs.

You and this website are an excellent resource for people that are the "computer expert" in the family and we get stuck and have nobody to turn to. Great place to get ideas.

I'd love to call this one solved, only time will tell but its looking good so far.

(now that I said that, I expect smoke to start rolling out of my computer any minute)

Edited by Dynamite1969, 03 June 2013 - 01:09 PM.