Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Busted hard drive on Toshiba Satellite

• Please log in to reply

globaljoe

globaljoe

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello, A neighbor of mine brought me his Toshiba Satellite L40-139 as it was not booting to the operating system, just coming up with the AMI BIOS screen. The BIOS sees the hard drive but gives: S.M.A.R.T status Bad, backup and replace. After Pressing F2 to get into the setup utility the hard disk is grayed out, as is the memory size and BIOS version. It is listed as second in the boot order after the disk drive. The drive is a Western Digital, I installed the hard drive into a caddy and connected it via usb to a desktop and ran a Western Digital hard drive test routine which came up with "bad sectors found, error detected while trying to repair bad sectors".
The quick test result came out as a pass, but the extended test failed with a 08 error detected while repairing bad sectors. I have managed to transfer some data to USB drive that he wanted so, basically I'm looking for a second opinion here, do I list the drive as dead in the water or is there anything else that can be done to rescue it.
Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello globaljoe

The HDD is hosed I`m afraid as where there is even one bad sector more will soon follow.
The best that you can do with the drive has been done by securing the data.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you have got the files off that he needs then try formatting it mate as that will be the acid test.

If it takes forever then it's dead, which I would suggest it is anyway.

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks for your opinions guys, much appreciated!.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're more than welcome Joe. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You're more than welcome Joe. :thumbsup:

Ditto :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that a flaky HDD cannot be trusted but to format the HDD as suggested by Wolfey use DBan http://www.dban.org/