Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashing, changing screens, slow shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

marycairo

marycairo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop that was working normally until recently when I watched a DVD, ripped a few CD's to the Windows Media Player, updated Google Chrome and Java. I have Windows 7. My whole laptop is running very slowly and erratically, and I am experiencing total crashing, including my mouse, yahoo messenger and skype. Sometimes my screen will spontaneously close and open again. Yesterday while typing a comment on Facebook, suddenly when I touched any letter on my keyboard, Chrome opened a new tab. When I backspaced, the entire word I typed was erased. When I shut down, it takes several minutes and when I reboot and open Chrome, I get a message saying Chrome did not shut down properly. I have run defrag, optimizer, registry cleaners, Avast, Malwarebytes, and Roguekiller but no luck. How can I fix this?? New information: I think I found the problem but I don't know how to fix it. I realized that something is perhaps eating up the memory, so I began deleting files. In my music file, I found some strange things. JPEG files had been created somehow for each album art corresponding to what is in my music file.I began to delete them but Windows cautioned me that they were system files. I deleted them anyway and my computer's performance has improved slightly. I also found that some of these files could not be removed by me but only by TrustedInstaller. How did this happen? Another very weird thing is that every sound played by Windows is being filed in the music file!! How can I stop this, is it recommended that I delete the Windows Media Center?

Edited by marycairo, 14 May 2013 - 09:58 AM.

Advertisements