Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse moving by itself

• Please log in to reply

rpwarwood

rpwarwood

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a problem with my mouse that has only started happening recenetly.

It is a microsoft intelliemouse explorer that i have had for probably a year. Whilst carrying out any normal activity my mouse will begin to move about the screen and click constantly in random places. It does not move to any predetermined place or show any signs of intellignece, it is totally random. It is not related to the mouse being dirty or being used on a shiny surface since it is clean and used on a mouse mat.

Having updated NAV and run a full system scan in safe mdoe nothing was found. (the mouse moved and clicked in random places whilst the scan was going on in safe mode....so i had to disable left click so that its clicking didnt actually do anything)

Microsoft anti spyware beta shows nothihng, adaware 6 SE shows nothing, spybot search and destroy shows nothing. What is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated and mroe info is available on request.

i have not done anything that i think may have triggered this happening and have up to date drivers. Thanks in advance

Edit: It does it even when the mouse is not plugged in and i am not being hacked because it does it when my network is unplugged. It can only be a virus or (more likely) some hardware/software conflict within my system.

Edited by rpwarwood, 07 June 2005 - 09:00 AM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try removing and reinstalling the drivers

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Is it an Optical mouse?

Older optical mice, are sensitive to light.

One moved around on me, turns out teh desklamp was just at the right angle
to shine too much light on the desktop in the path of the mouse.

Mouse was confused due to the amount of light, and decided to dance around
the screen. I turned off the lamp, back to normal.

rpwarwood

rpwarwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
nope, it is definitely nothing to do with lighting or any dust or any fault external to my computer. my mouse light can even be off, indicating the optical mouse has turned off to conserve battery and the mouse will stil be jumping about. and the fact it is clicking means its not a light issue. I will try the driver route, since it can only be a conflict. i plugged in an old usb mouse (optical, wired) and the problem has stopped. Need to figure out what caused the conflict.

nyone else had a similar problem with a microsoft intellimouse explorer?

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
The only other thing I can think of is your PS2 controler is slowly going bad on
your mobo.

frickneck

frickneck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having what appears to be the same issue. Same mouse. All of the suddon it is jumping around and the page is scrolling about 4 or so clicks every minute or so. Seemed to start after I had hard to kill adware bug. Was one of those that dll's were running in the background recreating the exe's that i was deleting as well as reg entries. But I got that gone and now mouse freaking out. Any ideas?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
This is happening with a wireless mouse?
then it is using RF (radio frequency) to send the signal from the mouse to the reciever. I suspect something else on that frequency is causing the movement and clicks for you.
if you can, change the frequency (channel) your mouse is using. you could also try moving the reciever around to different angles or areas, might be able to find a spot where the other signal is not causing problems.
otherwise, a wired mouse is the fix.

good luck, let us know how it goes.