Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I remove the MBR:Alureon-G [Rtk] [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Apparently, the laptop cannot be used until I take some action. And since the problem with this computer seems to be so difficult to trace down and correct, I'm trying to do everything you tell me to in spite of barriers. :)

In the lower right-hand corner of the application screen, there's what looks like a little hand with one finger on a little button. This is not the "neutralize" button. Do you think clicking this will enable me to get the log for you before neutralizing the threats listed above?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes it should do, I am just going to download and run the latest version myself :)

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
The little button on the bottom did nothing. So I clicked on Neutralize. I'm out... and attaching the log.

File name:
Cureit - Notepad

Attached File  cureit.log   635.99KB   96 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Nothing to worry about on those two they are just possible adware packers

I think we can safely rule out any malware and now put it down to a system problem

All we have to do now is determine where it is ..

What is the current situation with regards to the network connection and the behaviour of magnifier

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I did the IP address thing as well. Donno if it corrected the conflict though. I know very little about this. I probably need to be lead through it by the nose. There was nothing that said "wireless adapter." I chose "Wireless network connection."

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Aye that was it...

I feel that another couple of hours running it and then noting any problems as they occur

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I ran Dr.Web again just to see if it would complain about the IP address. It didn't. And there were 0 threats.
When I booted up this time, the magnifier behaved normally. It was on the screen. But sometimes it behaves normally and other times, it doesn't.

I'm leaving the computer on, to see how it behaves.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
So it is rather random as to when it works

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
STRIKE THAT LAST MESSAGE. IT ACCIDENTALLLY GOT POSTED!

There's only one antivirus program on the laptop. Security Center doesn't mention anything about there being more than one program. So I'm wondering what program could be trying to turn AVAST off... or is the message incorrect?

And there's a new problem now. "Add/remove programs" doesn't work now. There's no list of installed programs. And it no longer says, "Please wait while the list is being populated." To uninstall something, I'll go to Windows Explorer.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
It may be random. I'm checking. I may not've been noticing that the magnifier doesn't appear at startup only when I shut down by pressing the power button.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lets see if we can reset the BIOS password

Go to this page and just use the CMOS removal method only

As I feel that we really need to run a repair on windows to reset all the problems

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
CMOS removal? No can do. :( This laptop is impossible to open up! Other people have tried as well. I suppose, when and if I ever get the money, I'll try and get Fujitsu to tell me how to reset the password... or do you think it's worth it to use !BIOS to try and crack the password? And also, for a PHOENIX BIOS, on the page you sent me to, there are only 4 backdoor passwords. Do you think I should try them?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes try the backdoor passwords, using iBios is a bit fraught and even I would think twice about using that

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
OK, none of those backdoor passwords worked. There's some guy online who says he found a way to override any password, (I guess from a Fujitsu laptop). He sounds like the type of computer geek that loves a real challenge. Doesn't sound like a bad-guy. '

http://dogber1.blogs...ns-laptops.html

I downloaded a PY file, (Python) script file... but the computer was unable to open it. I did a little Googling and redd that if I can't open that kind of file, I may have registry problems. Does any of this ring a bell with you.

I realize we're at the end of the line. :( Thanks for everything you've done. I only wish I had YOUR knowledge! :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No it just means you do not have Python scripting language installed

The file that will run in windows is the one titled windows binary on this page http://dogber1.blogs...eered-bios.html

I have actually run two in a sandbox on my system and they appear safe