Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hard drive issues

• Please log in to reply

mcas

mcas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
right now im having external hard drive issues. im hoping i can get some kind of help with this. my issue is that my external drive wont read on my pc. it doesnt show on my computer but it shows on the disk manager. on the disk manager it shows as not initialized and unallocated. when i try to initialize it, it says cant perform request because of I/O device error. probably most people have the same issue as me. at this point, if theres a fix or a way to fix this i could really use it right about now as i dont want to lose all the data i have stored on it. btw its a seagate expansion 2tb external drive. honestly if theres no way to fix the drive. im hoping and praying someone can tell me theres a way to at least salvage the data if its not already gone. also another note. usually when the drives in use i could feel it moving, now when i place my hand on top of it i dont feel anything.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Mcas and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Is this a 3.5" drive or a 2.5" drive?

Do you have a Desktop machine or a laptop because if you have a desktop you could try removing the drive from its enclosure and connect it internally to test.

If you have a laptop you could use one of these to test. http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56

It doesn't sound too good though I'm afraid.

mcas

mcas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
mine is a 3.5" drive i believe, if its not, its this one for sure since this is the site i bought it from brand new http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148848
and i have it on a desktop. and yeah it doesnt look or feel good for that matter. im just praying that i can salvage something of it at least, if its possible
and also thanks for the welcome and the assistance. hoping this works out for the better

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Go to the link that you have supplied Mcas and scroll down a bit and click on the Feedback Tab where time after time people who have bought this drive have said that it failed in X amount of time.

Always read reviews when buying items of this nature from any site.

You could try running this to attempt to salvage any files but I wouldn't hold your breath.

http://www.piriform....recuva/download

mcas

mcas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks a lot for the help, i will give that a try. honestly i dont have much hope this will work either but heres hoping

mcas

mcas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i have tried using the program you gave me and it works but i cant recover files with the drive being unallocated and not initialized as it requires a drive letter which it does not have.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Again I doubt you'll have success in creating a new partition on the drive because of what you said in your initial post but you can try.

Right click on the drive in Disk Management and click Create New Volume.

mcas

mcas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yeah that doesnt work either, when i right click it, those options are greyed out. and when i right click the disk, only options it gives me are to initialize and offline, ive already tried initializing, which gives me the I/O error. wouldnt dare to think what hte offline option will do honestly

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Again I must say that I think the drive is dead. :(