Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want an XP partition on my Windows 7 laptop ... help!

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I have a laptop running Windows 7 ... I want to play some of my old wargames that are not installable in Windows 7 ... I would like to set up a working partition of WindowsXP for these games. Is this possible? My son set up a partition, but has been unable to install WinXP on it and has tried several different disks/copies with no success.

Can anyone help me do this or do I need to find a program that will emulate this or what?

Please help!

dog

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Depending on what version of Windows 7 you have Dog you may be able to run in XP Mode.

Consider this.

http://windows.micro...windows-xp-mode

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
drat it ... the link you provided only pertains to

Professional
Ultimate
Enterprise

I am stuck with Windows 7 Home Premium

hmmm :angry:

dog

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Dog,

Can you post the brand and model of the laptop?

Do you have a retail license of Windows XP?

If the games you want to run are demanding in terms of video requiring DirectX etc. they will not run correctly inside a Virtual Machine.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
The laptop is:

HP Pavilion g7-1310us Notebook PC

I do have a retail copy of WinXP

The games were purchased in 97-99 ish and are very low end graphics wise ... Actual titles of some are
Battlegound Gettysburg / Battleground Waterloo / Battleground Antietam ... they were originally produced
by Talonsoft.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can give Oracle Virtual Box a try. It allows you to run XP (and other Operating Systems) as a guest. I run Windows XP Pro, Vista and Linux guests on mine.

Also, see here: How to Setup a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
It looks like I'll have to try Virtual Box ... I will need my XP disk for this correct? Virtual Box seems a bit confusing at the moment. Should I now switch to the application forum to get help on using it?

dog

agereus

agereus

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
You could try to install with compatability mode for Windows XP, and click run in compatability mode for Windows XP. Do that by right-clicking your setup icon or program desktop icon and going to properties. Then switch to the compatability tab, and mark the checkbox for Windows XP. This can be done with Windows 7 Home Premium. Alteranitvely you could also dual boot XP and 7 by resizing your partition with computer management. Computer Management is under control panel>system security>administrative tools. Make sure you start it with administrative rights or you won't be able to resize your disk.

Edited by agereus, 20 May 2013 - 11:12 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

It looks like I'll have to try Virtual Box ... I will need my XP disk for this correct? Virtual Box seems a bit confusing at the moment. Should I now switch to the application forum to get help on using it?

dog

Hi, yes you need to use your XP install disk, check this tutorial to get the idea what you need to do.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

You could try to install with compatability mode for Windows XP, and click run in compatability mode for Windows XP. Do that by right-clicking your setup icon or program desktop icon and going to properties. Then switch to the compatability tab, and mark the checkbox for Windows XP. This can be done with Windows 7 Home Premium. Alteranitvely you could also dual boot XP and 7 by resizing your partition with computer management. Computer Management is under control panel>system security>administrative tools. Make sure you start it with administrative rights or you won't be able to resize your disk.

You're talking about installing Win7 with compatibility mode for XP? I already have Win7 installed ...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try installing the games in XP Compatibility mode.

Open the CD with the game. Find the install program, right click on it and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab then set it to XP, save and exit.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Try installing the games in XP Compatibility mode.

Open the CD with the game. Find the install program, right click on it and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab then set it to XP, save and exit.

That doesn't work ... I get the message

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher"

The original publisher, Talonsoft, no longer exists and the games have been purchased by Matrix, but they will not assist ... they have re-published the games updated for Win Vista and 7, but I don't want to pay for the games when I own them already. :(

dog

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to run it under XP in a virtual machine then. Virtual Box is the way to go.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
thanks for the help ... will get Virtual Box and work on it.

dog