Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Diagnostics program

• Please log in to reply

jscott99

jscott99

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have an ACER Aspire 5517 that has multiple problems. Touch pad no longer works, USB ports are troublesome IF they work at all. Video screen flickering, etc. Other things too. Links won't work, renaming a file can take 30-40 seconds; stuff like that. Windows says all drivers are up to date and that the hardware is operating properly. RIGHT!

Also, no malware problems. Checked with MSE and latest PRO version of Malware Bytes anti-malware.

ACER will not give me any help unless I pay them money!

For the record - I will NEVER buy another ACER product. You cannot even ASK a question of their tech support people if the unit is out of warranty. I am looking for a free or low cost diagnostic program that will check the hardware components of my system. Anyone know of anything worthwhile? Please let me know.

Thanks

jscott99

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Jscott and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Have you ever thought about taking it back to what is termed Factory Condition, in other words just like it was when you bought it?

Is the operating system Windows 7 Home Premium also?

jscott99

jscott99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Jscott and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Have you ever thought about taking it back to what is termed Factory Condition, in other words just like it was when you bought it?

Is the operating system Windows 7 Home Premium also?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, Win7 64bit premium and the rebuild is a possible option but it would cause me to lose many, many programs that I have installed on this unit and I don't want to do that. This might still be under a Square Trade Warranty, (an independent warranty company in the USA) so I am going to try them first. I really think the trackpad is dead and the USB ports are, AT BEST, balky.

I will do a complete backup ( using drive image ) by Acronis before sending it in or trying the rebuild myself. (I have the factory restore disks I created when I purchased the unit.) I have used Acronis successfully before. The trackpad seems to be an integral part of the system board in this unit, so the "guts" probably need replacing.

I was just looking for an option so I could give Square Trade more info when I call them. ACER, who I am seeing as imbeciles right now, doesn't offer a diagnostics program for the unit. From now on I will avoid this company entirely.

Thanks for trying to help.

jscott99

James Scott

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
In the UK where I am from there is a statuary guarantee of 1 year on all goods of this description unless otherwise stated, (a refubished model for example).

The manufacturer may also offer a further guarantee, for example I have a Maxtor hard drive with the statuary plus an extra 3 years.

In UK law any dispute that may arise is down to the dealer to fix and not the manufacturer unless obtained directly from them.

However check out your situation with Square Trade as you may still be covered.

As an aside I have owned and also worked on many Acer machines and have never found fault with them yet.

jscott99

jscott99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Guess you were lucier than I. But, HP, Compaq, Dell and others ALL offer a means to diagnose problems, either software or an integral program. ACER does not - to me that is reason enough to avoid them.

Thanks

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome mate. :thumbsup:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, Win7 64bit premium and the rebuild is a possible option but it would cause me to lose many, many programs that I have installed on this unit and I don't want to do that. This might still be under a Square Trade Warranty, (an independent warranty company in the USA) so I am going to try them first. I really think the trackpad is dead and the USB ports are, AT BEST, balky.

I will do a complete backup ( using drive image ) by Acronis before sending it in or trying the rebuild myself. (I have the factory restore disks I created when I purchased the unit.) I have used Acronis successfully before. The trackpad seems to be an integral part of the system board in this unit, so the "guts" probably need replacing.

I was just looking for an option so I could give Square Trade more info when I call them. ACER, who I am seeing as imbeciles right now, doesn't offer a diagnostics program for the unit. From now on I will avoid this company entirely.

Hi James,

In your case I would create an image with Acronis (don't forget the check the image integrity) and then use the Factory Restore Disk to erase everything and restore to factory defaults, this way you can test to make sure its an hardware problem and not software. Also doing this you avoid sending all your personal data to someone you don't know.