Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Account needs to be elevated?!?

• Please log in to reply

Jen0151

Jen0151

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

Hope you can help. I work in an office were no one is very computer savvy & I need help.

I am the only user on my PC but now when I log in another account is there (don't know how, wasn't always there). At first this was not a problem but now when I try to change anything or delete an unwanted program I am being prompted for a user name & password. I enter mine but it states that my account needs to be elevated. I have googled this, tried several things but I am always coming up against the same wall.

I am really at a loss. Please help!!!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi Jen :welcome:

First question are you running Windows Server?

The problem you describe sounds like your user account doesn't have Administrator privileges. When you try to do some "big" changes to the System windows will ask for credentials of an user account belonging to the Administrators group. This process is called Elevation.

Jen0151

Jen0151

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Sleepydude

Yes it is. We are all responsible for our own computers (downloading/deleting programs etc) I have never had a problem doing this before but for reason my access has changed.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi,

Can you post the server version you are running?

Jen0151

Jen0151

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, how do I do that?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts

Sorry, how do I do that?

One way locate the My Computer icon right click and select Properties the window will show the information about the system you have.