Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stuck in sleep mode

• Please log in to reply

fashionistagal2

fashionistagal2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all. I have a crappy Compaq Presario with ME. This morning when I went over to my computer, I noticed that it was stuck in sleep mode as shown by the amber-colored light coming from the monitor power light as well as on my keyboard. I never tell my computer to sleep, but it just seems to do it anyway sometimes and the only way I have ever been able to fix it is to just restart my computer. Pressing the "sleep" button on my keyboard does nothing. Today when I tried to restart though, the monitor would not turn back on, it continues to show the amber light. Also, none of the buttons on my keyboard respond or appear to be on, if I press caps or num lock, for example, those lights on the keyboard don't turn on. My mouse will not awaken it either. I tried plugging in another person's keyboard and mouse. Her keyboard's num lock key light turns on, so it appears to be responding somewhat, but it will not wake my computer up. I don't know what else to do at this point! Please help!

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
heya, fashionistagal2

If you don't have anything unsaved that you know of on your computer right now (or only have stuff open that you wouldn't mind losing), push in and hold the power button for 8 seconds. Basically, you'll know you're done when the machine shuts itself off.

That should allow you to cold boot the thing.

If that works, after you boot back up go to your display properties (start -> settings -> control panel -> display). Click the screen savers tab, then click the button on that window labelled something like "Power" or "Power Settings". There, you should be able to turn off hibernation, standby and sleep mode. I'd suggest you turn them all off.

Let me know if and how this all works out.