Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Picture file problems

• Please log in to reply

patmlaw

patmlaw

• Pip
  • 7 posts
As soon as I purchased my new Dell at Christmastime, I noticed that I have a problem tranferring picture files from one program to another without it locking up and having to shut the program down. Sometimes I have to reboot, because everything crashes. I called Dell and they said I perhaps had a virus or spyware and had me reformat the hard drive (the day I got it set up?). It worked OK for a while, but then started again. This is when I right click on a picture and try to save it to another file. Or, when composing an email, I CANNOT insert a picture, gif file, jpg, or otherwise into an email to send. The program I'm using will lock up and I have to abort the whole thing. I have purchased all sorts of spyware programs, but none of them have solved this problem. I'm sure it's some simple little setting somewhere, but can't find out what it could be. I also can't create any stationery for my Outlook Express, because it will lock it up and I have to close the program. Can somebody please help me and tell me what this is? I've called Dell and they just want me to format the hard drive again. This is not an option anymore. PLUS, this has nothing to do with the settings on my Outlook. I've unchecked the box that keeps me from getting attachments or seeing pictures. This problems seems to pop up with most any program that has to do with picture files.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi patmlaw. Welcome to Geeks to Go. What program are you using to view the pictures? Do you have the same problem if you use the windows xp picture viewer? Try experimenting by using a different program to open the pictures. Click on a pic, then right click, select open with and windows will display option, like windows picture/fax viewer, paint and internet explorer. These three are recommended You can also browse for other programs. Try using one recommended ones instead of the program you are using. It may be caused by the software you are using. Have you checked the software vendors web page for updates?

I think Dell tech support is in India now. Must be the luck of the draw that each time you got someone that only knows how to say "format the hard drive and re-install".

patmlaw

patmlaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can view pictures. It's just that when I try to compose an email in Outlook Express, I cannot attach a photo or insert a picture, gif, whatever. There's a bug in my system somewhere that's preventing me from doing any of this. I've had pc's since the early 1990's, so I'm very familiar with Windows. On my old Windows 98, I could do anything I wanted. When I purchased the new Windows XP, I'm very limited to what I can do with any pictures. I can send them, but I have to go through another program that will let me (MS Picture It Photo Publishing). If I try to do this directly through my email, Outlook Express will freeze and has to be shut down. If I'm on a website and right click a picture and try to save it to My Documents (My Pictures), it will do the same thing. I cannot save any picture at all to My Documents. I've tried copying and pasting, but sometimes the same thing happens. I've put the System Disk in and repaired Windows XP with no results. I've formatted the hard drive with no results. I don't know if I have a program on this thing that's interferring with something or not. Seems like I've tried everything I could think of. I've spent a lot of money on spyware programs to find the problem. I've been on a lot of websites, too. Seems like no one knows what the problem is or they don't read my entire message and understand it.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Have you tried this : Outlook Express > Tools > Options > Security
Make sure there's no check mark against 'Do not allow attachments '.

patmlaw

patmlaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
As I said, I can VIEW any picture. It's just trying to save or send that's the problem.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
But if there is a checkmark against 'Do not allow attachments' then you won't be able to send or receive pictures.

patmlaw

patmlaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I did that the first thing when setting up the computer.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Have you got a Microsoft Windows XP disc or a restore CD from Dell.
If you only have the restore CD then it sounds to me like either it or the original installation is at fault, in which case you need to get back to Dell.

patmlaw

patmlaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have the OS disk. I followed directions on this website on how to repair Windows XP. It took me over an hour last night and it still hasn't helped.