Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nothing works

• Please log in to reply

depilic

depilic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello im trying to install windows xp so I can upgrade to windows 8 afterwards but I always get an error when i try to install xp. These errors range from missing or corrupt files to blue screen and others. I have tried to reinstall, checked if my memory was the problem, manually copy the missing files as well as chkdsk r p but nothing worked. There were afew times when the installation reached the blue screen to finish the installation but then It received a fatal error. I can not go into safemode either because f8 just beeps so I dont know if that has to do with the fact I formated the harddrive which means it cant run or something else. It could be that my computer was infected but I dont know how to go about that when I cant go into safemode. I really dont know whatelse to do now can you help me?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No need to install XP first, see here: How to Do a Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

depilic

depilic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried to install windows 8 clean many times but I always got an error. It says installation error

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello depilic

Before you tried installing W8 did you run the upgrade assistant to ensure that the computer could run Windows 8 as many XP era computers cannot http://windows.micro...de-to-windows-8

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

What type of XP disk do you have.

depilic

depilic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I had windows 8 installed on my computer before so I assume it can run it. The problem started when the computer became very slow so what I did was reinstall wimdows 8 but when I tried, it gave an error.

I have an ibm desktop and the series number is 9210 kgb or lmmcw8m I think. I know its very old but I dont want to give up on it yet.

I have a windows xp home disk.