Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card dreams

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hello All :D been a while. I was looking around for fun to see how much a noticeable gpu upgrade would be. After some research, and since I love Nvidia, I went with the 560 ti. now Newegg has a deal right now for $170 for the version made by gigabyte. I have a 8800GTS 512 Alpha dog edition at the moment. Im mainly looking to upgrade my GPU because I feel my cpu (core 2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz) and 4gb of RAM will handle most games, as the requirements have said. The only thing that would give me a noticeable boost in gaming would be upgrading my GPU right now, and I would love to pick one up in the future for under $200.

So what do you guys think? a worthy upgrade? or an ultimate waste of time? let me know, thx

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello hoopsman

What speed is the Ram that you have.

The GTX560Ti is ok but as an alternative that is within your budget also consider the HD7850 http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;
Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.
What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I have DDR2-6400, and my psu is 650 watts and i have a full size tower case. Would that be worthy for a future upgrade?

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
As DDR2 Ram goes your spec is ok, a 650W PSU is plenty if it is a quality brand - what brand is it.
The brand and model of PSU details are important for us to know so that we can check that it has the 2 6-pin Supplementary Power Connectors that the GTX650Ti require http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Its a corsair psu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
As in http://www.corsair.com/tx650w.html

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Yep :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
All good then :thumbsup:

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Would u recommend the 2gb version of the hd 7850 over the 1gb one? Its not much more..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Would u recommend the 2gb version of the hd 7850 over the 1gb one? Its not much more..

Glad you asked http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

The feedback for the MSI version of the card is better than some of the other brand names and that is why I have not suggested a card that is faster and around the same budget.

More VRam is an advantage BTW and especially if you want to use a screen larger than 32" or multiple screens.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
So I did some thinking, and I realized that the Radeon Cards dont do Physx, which Nvidia has improved quite a bit. I dont have a mobo that can do SLI, and im playing on an HP 2311x 23" Full HD monitor. Given my other specs that have been given, what Nvidia card would give me the best performance boost from the 8800GTS 512 I have now for $200 or under?

THanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Wow that looks great. Lastly, would i be able to plug this into my tv using hdmi and get full video/audio? I have an asus xonar dx sound card that i use currently, would i have to change around any settings? My audio setup is 4.0 through my amp, which my tv is plugged into.

Edited by hoopsman, 28 May 2013 - 01:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Please refer to your ASUS user manual for the audio configuration and to check for compatibility with add on video cards.