Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems rearranging favorites Explorer 8

• Please log in to reply

LSUJAW

LSUJAW

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Demension 4300 xp. Sp2 and Sp3 are installed. I upgraded to Explorer 8. My favorites menu worked fine until I upgraded to Explorer 8. Now I can't drag my links in favorites to rearrange them. Should I downgrade to Explorer 6 or 7?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I would stay with IE8, even if you can't arrange favorites the way you want.

IE6 just plain doesn't work on many web sites any more and IE7 has so many holes in it the Swiss Cheeses manufacturers are envious.

You might be able to do something by creating folders to organize your favorites better.
Maybe there is an Add-on that will help, though I couldn't find anything via a Google Search.

You could also look at moving to Firefox.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi LSUJAW,

Can you explain exactly what you want to do because I just test on Windows XP + IE 8 and I can drag the links on the favorites bar and also on the favorites menu without any problem...

LSUJAW

LSUJAW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Sleepy Dude,
What I want and am trying to do is what your test shows that you should be able to do. In Explorer 8 you are suppose to be able to rearrange your favorites by draging and droping your folders and also your links within the folders. I was able to do this in Explorer 6. It is very important that I be able to do this in Explorer 8. Maybe I should try to reload Explorer 6 and then reload Explorer 8 again. Maybe I have some corructed files. I tried firefox but I am more at ease with Explorer.
LSUJAW

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi,

You can't reinstall Internet Explorer 6 now, you need to Uninstall IE 8 and then try to install again maybe it fix the problem.

Another test you can do its to create a new user and see if the problem also happens when using the new user account it could be some problem with your user.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Try running IE8 without any Add-ons, see if that makes a difference.

Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If that doesn't help, try resetting IE8 to default: How to reset IE8