Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent unresponsiveness since rare BSOD

• Please log in to reply

triple_w

triple_w

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with my PC for the last few days to no avail so hopefully I can find some answers on this forum

I have a Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.4GHz, 6GB RAM, with Windows 7 Home Premium running on a Crucial 64GB M4 SSD SATA-III 6Gb/s. It has been running like a dream for 2 years until the other day.

I had left the PC on over night and when I woke up and turned the monitor on the blue screen appeared and then rebooted automatically before I could see the error message. Since that BSOD the system has been frequently freezing, where programs will stop and I can't open task manager, though I'm able to move the mouse. The only way to overcome this is a power reboot. Sometimes after leaving the PC idle, I turn on the monitor to find a black screen appear with the message 'BOOTMGR is missing CTR+ALT+DEL to restart', where the same message appears if i press ctr/alt/del but i am able to boot if i power reboot. Since reinstalling Windows the bootmgr error has stopped appearing but i still get frequent crashes, especially when idle for more than 10-15 minutes.

Would be eternally grateful if someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

http://speccy.pirifo...eJcUdbHqlekjCQe

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: triple_w

The output from your PSU is showing as being very low on all rails, can I ask whether the PSU has ever been upgraded or is the stock 460W PSU still being used.

Your Speccy results show the following readings, compare them to what they should be in the PSU tolerance table that I have attached

Voltages
+3.3V: 2.832 V
+5V: 2.762 V
+12V: 10.944 V

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

triple_w

triple_w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your response. The PSU hasn't been changed and is the one that came with the order. I've attached my speedfan and cpuid readings for your analysis.

Many thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan screen.jpg
  • cpuid.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi triple_w

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Speedfan does not show what we need but HWMonitor does and it is confirming that your PSU is bad, one more test for us if you will please;

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Remove any testing software that we have used as you see fit please, you are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

triple_w

triple_w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Please see attached report as requested. When I clicked on sensor nothing appeared?

Many thanks .

Attached Files

triple_w

triple_w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
downloaded a similar program to show sensor results.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• siw.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the additional details inc the SIW screenshot :thumbsup:

I suggest that you remove the PSU and have a tech test it as SIW is also showing the same bad output readings.

Did you notice the low disk space warning on drive G:
Free up some space on the drive or the data already on it could become corrupted.

triple_w

triple_w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks a lot. Can you point out which readings show that the psu is bad just for future reference? I have a spare psu so will try using that to see if that makes a difference.

Cheers for the help once again :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are most welcome triple_w :thumbsup:

Please let us know how swapping the PSU works out and any questions give us a shout <_<

triple_w

triple_w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just a quick update, managed to finally fix the problem. Turned out to be a problem with the Crucial M4 SSD hard drive and all it took was a firmware update! Thanks for all your help though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Glad to hear that the issue is resolved and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: