Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shut downs upon movement, freezing, unresponsive trackpad

• Please log in to reply

whaaatif

whaaatif

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi all,

As you can see from my topic title, I'm having quite a few issues with my laptop. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum - at first I thought it was a virus, but now I'm thinking it might actually be a hardware issue. I'm not very computer-savvy so any help would be greatly appreciated!

A number of different problems started popping up a few days ago. Firstly, my laptop shuts off (no warning or blue screen) if I move it, but only on battery. It doesn't happen when it's plugged in. I don't get any messages or alerts about the unexpected shutdown upon reboot either.

Second, my laptop has been freezing quite often (either just the screen, the mouse, or both together). I scanned with Trend Micro and it didn't find anything (after freezing during the first few scans that I ran).

Lastly, the scroll capability on my trackpad stops functioning on a daily basis (the actual trackpad also stops responding for a few seconds, but then it usually comes back). When I go to check the mouse properties, I get the message: "Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver". A restart fixes the issue.

All of these problems started happening on the same day, which is why I was suspecting a virus at first.

My laptop is relatively new - about 6 months old. It's running Windows 8 64 bit with 4gb of RAM. It runs very cool, the base barely gets warm after a few hours of work, so I don't think it's a fan issue. Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday whaaatif.
Sound like a loose connection or a failing part. Do all the problems happen when only connected to the battery? Given that it is only 6 months old, It would be advisable to see if it can be repaired under warranty. Under the terms of a warranty, usually, opening the case or repairs done by an unauthorized person, will void the warranty.

whaaatif

whaaatif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi iammykyl, thanks for your response.

The laptop only shuts off upon movement when it is connected to the battery only. It doesn't happen if it is plugged into AC. However, the other problems (freezing and trackpad unresponsiveness) have occurred on battery and AC. Does it seem likely that all of these issues are originating from the same cause?

I was hoping that I wouldn't need to send it in; I've never had good interactions with tech support...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
The shut down on movement really does sound like hardware, other issues could be software, You could backup your Data and perform a Factory Restore to hopefully fix a software issue and see if that also helps with the sudden shut down.

Repairing or replacing parts on a laptop/notebook is possible but harder than working on a tower PC, you often need a workshop manual for disassemble/reassemble. and I remind you about the warranty.

whaaatif

whaaatif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok thanks. I will try the factory restore and/or get it repaired under the warranty.

Thanks again for your help!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome,
Would appreciate a post about the outcome as this may help other with a similar problem.