Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP wont boot in any mode [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PrMan

PrMan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

First of all, what a great forum here, so much informative and helpful reading matter.

My Problem :

I use avery old Samsung laptop as a backup machine and/or as a 2nd option to carry out basic internet related work on. Keeps my main Desktop free of clutter and running well all the time.

For no apparent reason, the laptop went Blue Screen a few days ago, stating some vague reference to a recent hardware install. However, i haven't installed hardware recently.

Anyways, at first i was able to restart and carry out a system restore point which enable the pc to start fine, and provide me access to the files sitting on home screen / desktop.

Then next day, the laptop went back to reboot problems and now refuses to start in any of the safe options including safe mode, networking, command prompt, LKGC and Normal.

I would happily reformat - if that was the only way forward - but i need to remove files and folders etc first.

Hopefully though, you may have suggestions that would just get the machine working well again....

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Regards,

PrMan

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello PrMan,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

It's an old machine maybe the hard drive is on the blink...

If you can boot from a disc drive then we could try this, it might work enough for you to access your data:

This is a way to access your computer using a disk we will create.

Before starting you might like to print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

• Download OTLPE.iso and save it somewhere you can get it.
  • Insert a writable blank CD/DVD in your CD drive and click on the OTPLE.iso to burn a CD. NOTE:
  • Reboot your infected system using the boot CD you just created.
Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • The CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system...can take a bit of time, just be patient :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • If asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • If asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.