Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Infection - computer started running slow (and "stalling&

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Thanks for the logs Briz :thumbsup:

I know you have a font fix to feed so I will look into alternative sites or something. I don't know much about the font world but I will soon :)

I will look at these tonight and get a fix to you possibly tomorrow now as I have to clear my post as you know so......

For now: leave those fonts alone :lol:

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
What browsers are you currently having problems with?

Do you use Internet Explorer 64bit version?

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

What browsers are you currently having problems with?

Do you use Internet Explorer 64bit version?

All the browsers are "tooled" regarding the V9 overtaking...

I'm using IE10, and it is fairly hosed regarding the way it is rendering some sites for me. For instance, ceert.org (i site i work on) doesn't render well at all - but i know others with IE see it fine.

I'm not sure if i have the 64bit version of IE - though I imagine I do... :confused:

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
That is a fonts issue I mentioned in my 1st post I'm sure. Have a look at This reply

Your Helvitica download is a Torrent file :whistling:

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Your Helvitica download is a Torrent file :whistling:

so, it looks like Helvitica is creating some chaos with IE...

I don't understand your reference to Helvitica being a torrent file - how so? :confused:

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
HELVETICA - ULTIMATE FAMILY FONTS -steevo-be-thy-name-2011-©.rar

This is on your Desktop. Now Google the following: steevo-be-thy-name

It is a Torrent :thumbsup:

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

HELVETICA - ULTIMATE FAMILY FONTS -steevo-be-thy-name-2011-©.rar

This is on your Desktop. Now Google the following: steevo-be-thy-name

It is a Torrent :thumbsup:

Ah... a Mac/Apple friend passed that .rar file to me so I could work with an InDesign file she also had passed my way... I haven't dealt with opening it (thinking .rar was the Apple/Mac version of .zip) because it hasn't been a priority to work with the ID file. She sent it to me via email/YouSendIt.com - so I never used BitTorrent to get it... I guess she did. :rolleyes:

However, I just experienced a new issue which is unnerving me :unsure:

My computer just froze - and I had to do a hard shut-down... then it wouldn't start up. It was stuck on the windows colorful start-up screen... so another hard-shut down (holding the power button down until it powers off). This time when I started the computer, it went through the windows Start-Up Repair.

And, when I finally got it back up - the desktop image was hosed. It is okay now; I didn't do anything to correct it. I just noticed it was correct as I was writing this...

Is it possible that our work we've been doing corrupted something?

(How's this for a training case? :P )

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
just dumped that .rar file...

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Now Google the following: steevo-be-thy-name

OMG! I forgot all about pirate bay!! Yeah, I used to be a frequent user there - but it's been at least 6 years. I'd go for the movies... but they were difficult to get legitimate rips for and wasn't worth the effort - not when there were so many legitimate means of getting films online.

Wow - blast from the past!

(almost tempting to snoop around... not gonna do it. wouldn't be prudent...)

:beer:

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts

Is it possible that our work we've been doing corrupted something?

A desktop program was removed by ADWcleaner. Desk 365 ring a bell? It's a pointless program that cleans desktop shortcuts. This may be the cause. We have been removing quite a lot of stuff due to re-infection. So hopefully when things are straight as regards to the Logs so will the PC.

Your issues seem centered on downloads and what you have running at start-up. Does Carbonite need to be running when the PC starts or could you start this yourself when needed? This program in particular was causing issues.

Restart the PC and see if there are any problems.

How's this for a training case?

Very good. I have a naughty user who I like :lol:

Advertisements

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Very good. I have a naughty user who I like :lol:

:P

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Restart the PC and see if there are any problems.

OK - start up went well... but shutdown got hung up. Also, my dreamweaver became "unresponsive".

I am wondering if one of my external hard-drives might be dying - or the case/hardware housing it dying. Is there a way to check the health of a hard-drive? The one I am suspect of is the one all my web work is on... which may explain DW crashing. There have been a couple of times in the last 3 weeks that starting the hard-drive up didn't work. I'd turn it off and turn it back on and then it was recognized properly...

"whew" this has been a doozy of a case!!

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Which Drive letter is it? ESET found an infection on the W: drive. I will check that drive tomorrow. Now...

It's funny you should mention this as I was thinking of running this to address the freezing problems. First lets check the main C: drive

Error Checking
  • Click Start and in the search box type CMD - You should see CMD under programs, right click and Run as Administrator.
  • CMD window will open, at the prompt copy and paste the following: CHKDSK C: /F /R and press Enter
  • Choose Yes (y) at the next prompt to schedule disk check and press enter.
  • Exit CMD by typing exit
  • Restart computer. This will check your hard drive for errors.

This may take anything from 20 minutes to many hours (one user I had it took 26 hours!) don't switch off if it appears to be doing nothing, this is normal.

I will post tomorrow on how to get me the results :)

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Which Drive letter is it? ESET found an infection on the W: drive. I will check that drive tomorrow. Now...

:alarm: ah ha! it IS the W drive... !

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

I will post tomorrow on how to get me the results :)

OK - I am restarting computer now - talk with you tomorrow... g'night, mate. :geek:

affirmative dave