Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to find certificate

• Please log in to reply

mark814

mark814

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all,

I'm new here and this is my first post, so Hey! I broke out an old Compaq XP laptop for my daughter to use. It hasn't been used in about 4 or 5 years probably, so naturally I've updated my router and network since then. I tried to set up the wireless network for my current settings. Went into Properties and set WPA, TKIP, and network password. Then I got the old "Unable to find a certificate" error. Now here's the rub. The page with the IEEE 802.1X checkbox is all greyed out and the box isn't checked anyway. Now what?

Whenever I go back to wireless properties, most times it resets WPA to WEP and an Open network. I reset WPA, TKIP, password, etc. and it is ignored and I get the Certificate error again. Repeat ad nauseum.

It's a "G" protocol at 54 Mbps as old as it is. So do I need to resort to re-installing Windows from scratch so that everything is picked up fresh? Or does someone know the part I'm obviously missing?

TIA,
Mark

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
First, check the date and time. If they are messed up weird things happen.

Does it work if you use a Ethernet cable?