Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sceen turns to blue, not BSOD. Possible driver issue

• Please log in to reply

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
My computer turns on normally, starts on dekstop but after a minute or so the screen will turn one complete color while the other will turn black. Almost always this color is blue, but I've also encountered gray. I believe this is a driver issue - when I reboot into safemode, this does not occur. Additionally, when I uninstall my video card driver (Amd Radeon HD 4850 Desktop Graphics Card) and reboot normally, my computer works fine albeit my scheme is messed up and 640x480. I have tried reinstalling my driver several times , both from letting my computer search and from manually installing Catalyst Control Center.

This has been only happening recently - today and yesterday, essentially, but it happens without fail. I updated my video card driver several days ago though, so I don't understand why it's doing this now. I had the same problem before when I updated my drivers, but previously I could go to device manager and rollback my drivers to one from 2009. It no longer allows me to perform this action so I assume the rollback drivers aren't there.

I tried allowing the computer to cooldown for a day in case it was an overheat issue, but there was no change in the behavior. The video card fan is operational.

I'd really appreciate any help. Right now my computer is essentially unusable except in safe mode/with no video driver so if you have any suggestions or things to look for, I would gladly try it out. I tried poking around google but it seems like nobody else is having this problem

Edited by yesiammanu, 24 May 2013 - 02:58 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday yesiammanu.

Could be you have not completely removed all AMD software.
Go, > http://support.amd.c...alyst &items=20 Select correct OS, > save to desktop.

Downlad the Total AMD uninstaller. > http://sites.amd.com...ll-utility.aspx

Disconnect your secondary screen, > Install drivers package and test performance
Connect the secondary screen and configure settings.

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Thanks, that seemed to have fixed it. If it occurs in the future I'll post again.

I really appreciate your help. Cheers.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome yesiammanu.
Thanks for updating your topic and letting s know the outcome. Posted Image