Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

game has stopped working

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If you go back to your PCPitstop results and check the software tab you will see that the game is not listed so I am not sure how you managed to play the game in safe mode.

Launcher option is more or less the same thing as setup exe as in it launches/sets up the program.

Is there any scratches on the disk.

Have you tried the disk on another computer to see if you have the same problem.

Can you return the disk to where you purchased it from.

Advertisements

Paulray

Paulray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I thought that some games you had to insert the disk every time you wanted to play i'm not sure because this is only my second game and the first one gave instructions to uninstall as this one doesn't.I don't think the games faulty because i've read other forums where people have the same prblem and can play it on a different computer.Where would i find the launcher option?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I thought that some games you had to insert the disk every time you wanted to play

You are correct - but - you must also install the program to the HDD so that you can keep Save points throughout the game, the alternative would be to start the game from the beginning every time or leave the game on pause, neither of which you would be happy with.

i'm not sure because this is only my second game and the first one gave instructions to uninstall as this one doesn't.

Have you taken a look at the "ReadMe" information on the disk.

I am aware that you have the box for the game but can I ask where you obtained it, is it a reputable merchant?
Jack the Ripper - Letters from H**l is widely available as a download, the problem is they are mainly available from torrent sites and I just hope that you have not been hoodwinked by an online criminal.

Please check that your DVD drive is configured to Autoplay;

1. Click on Start, go to Control Panel.
2. Click on Hardware and Sounds, Click on Autoplay.
3. Put a check mark for Use auto play for all media and devices, click on Save, and see if this helps, some further guidance http://support.micro...kb/314060/en-us

I will be offline for most of the day now to other commitments but I will check back later, good luck.

NB: As an asides there is an outside chance that your optical drive just does not like the type/quality of the disk that the game is on.

Paulray

Paulray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Still can't get it to work,should i start looking to see if a 3rd party application is preventing it work in normal mode.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I would still try the disk on another computer first.

Paulray

Paulray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I haven't got another computer.If it works in safe mode surely there's nothing wrong with the disk.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If it works in safe mode surely there's nothing wrong with the disk.

Agreed but what I cannot understand is how you can play the game in Safe Mode when there are no games files stored on the HDD!
When you play the game in Safe Mode are you able to create a game "Save Point" if you are then it will be stored in a folder that can be found on your HDD, if you cannot create a game "Save Point" it suggests that there may be files missing on the disk.

Paulray

Paulray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No i'm not able to create a game save point but when i start again it let's me continue where i left off automatically.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I am sorry but I can not think of anything else to try :(

I see that you are not the only person who has been unable to install the game http://www.amazon.co.../R110PU0W17J35G

Paulray

Paulray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
thanks for all your help,goodbye.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are most welcome I am only sorry that I could not offer a solution :(

I will keep looking for suggestions that may help BTW.