Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexplained crashes

• Please log in to reply

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hey guys

Hoping you can give me a bit of guidance. My comp has crashed on me two times within the last hour. It's running normally and suddenly it completely switches off. No freezing, no BSOD, no error message, just off. Starts up again no problem. I'm running an ASUS gaming laptop with i7 core, GTS 360 video card and windows 7. I'm really concerned that this is a hardware issue. I think this has happened to me once or twice before a few weeks ago but I wasn't using my battery at that time and thought I'd slightly unplugged the power cord so didn't give it much thought. The increased frequency scares me a bit. I've just recovered from the second crash and Speccy says the system is now running at 77 degrees so I don't think I'm over heating. I'm unsure of how to read crash logs and any help would be really appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello LANCE_1313

Speccy says the system is now running at 77 degrees so I don't think I'm over heating

You have told us that you have an i7 CPU but not the exact one and so I can only use an example or two maximum safe operating temperatures here, the Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7-2700K Maximum operating temperature is 72.6°C and the Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7-3770T Maximum operating temperature is 69.8°C which is significantly cooler than the 77°C that you have told us you are getting.

The symptoms that you describe can be caused by overheating, this causes the thermal sensor to shut the computer down to prevent the CPU/GPU from being fried.

Some questions for you;
What is the ASUS model name or number of the notebook.
Is the notebook covered by a warranty.
When if ever was the last time that the inside of the notebook was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.
Is the notebook used on a flat and even surface so that air can flow freely through the exhaust vents.
What are the ambient room temperatures like where the notebook is used.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Notebook: Asus G60 Series

I believe the notebook is not covered by warranty at this time.

It has been some time since it's been cleaned out and I will try to do this now.

At all times that the system has crashed it's been being used on a desk while playing a game (League of legends). I do admit though that at times I'm guilty of using it in my bed where the fan on the underside might not get adequate flow.

I'm not sure of the exact room temperature but it's always been relatively normal and never excessively hot.

Thanks for the help so far.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I checked the G60 series specs and the i7 CPU in your notebook should be ok at 77°C but I do recommend that you give the insides a clean out and if you continue to use the notebook on the bed place a large piece of card or a notebook cooler beneath if.

I know the computer is an ASUS but the cleaning guide at the link is the same principal for all brands http://h10025.www1.h...product=3927423

Let us know how things are after a clean out please.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll clean it out and see how I go over the next day. I'll report back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome and good luck :thumbsup:

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've cleaned out the air intake and fan output. There was dust but I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't enough to clog things up.

I've been doing some testing today and noticed a few things. I've had symptoms each time that I've played league of legends. I'm assuming that this is because I'm making the system work harder during game play than just idling or browsing the internet. I've had another system crash that caused a blue screen. It created a dump file but I'm unsure how to access or read this. I've also had slowdown and freezing of game play despite a solid internet connection. I've now noted the temp to rise to 80 degrees as the max I've seen right after a game crash. These symptoms seem very much like those described in the heat reduction article you linked me.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I bought a cooling pad yesterday and have had it running. I just got another BSOD and the system rebooted immediately. On reboot the system temp in speccy was a cool 55 degrees.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Try removing the Ram, blowing out the slots and then reseating the Ram securely http://www.crucial.c...all/sodimm.aspx

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I reset the ram and played 2 games this morning. I haven't had a crash yet but I still get momentary freezes in game where the sound repeats. I'll play a few more games later if I have time to see if it will actually crash.

Advertisements

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Played another game. Got a BSOD when the match started. Created a dump file but I saw the error was BAD_POOL_HEADER. I understand this is often associated with memory issues?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Test the VRam first http://mikelab.kiev....PROGRAMS/vmt_en then test the system memory, see below;

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.
Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.
Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.
Power up the computer and see how it goes.
Make a note of the results.
Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.
Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.
Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.
Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Tested the VRAM
came back no errors. I selected create log but i'm not sure where it saves to. If you want me to upload it i'll try to figure out where the [bleep] it went.

Tested physical RAM
I have 3 2gig ram cards for a total of 6gig. There are actually 4 slots in my machine but slot 4 was not in use. I tested by switching RAM 1-3 through all slots including slot 4. Here are the results

RAM 1 2 3

SLOT 1 work work work
Slot 2 X X X
Slot 3 work work work
Slot 4 X X X

Basically. All RAM worked in slot 1 and 3. No RAM worked in slot 2 and 4. Not sure if 4 should have worked as it wasn't being used.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please try using the notebook with Ram in slots 1 and 3 only and see how the notebook behaves.

Provide a Speccy url for us so that we have more detailed information about the MB http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

For help with BSOD issues please refer to the tutorial provided courtesy of Capt.Jack Sparrow http://www.sevenforu...leshooting.html

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I can boot up with RAM 1 and RAM 3 in slots 1 and 3 respectively. Let me know if you want me to do any other combinations using RAM 2.

http://speccy.pirifo...U1BVmK4D4hC60gN

I'm going to follow that tutorial and post to Sevenforums. Thanks