Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexplained crashes

• Please log in to reply

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've looked in the Bios again and can't see any Boot Booster. The only option I see is Quiet Boot.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I've looked in the Bios again and can't see any Boot Booster. The only option I see is Quiet Boot.

This enables and disables the splash screen on boot up and is best disabled so that it does not slow down your boot times.

The one other thing that I can think of that may be responsible is the power settings as I noticed in the Speccy results that you have The Power4Gear Hybrid software installed, please refer to the attached link for how to configure the best settings for the notebook when you are gaming etc http://dlcdnet.asus....de_XP_EN_V1.pdf

I also noticed in the Speccy results that you had no Anti Virus protection.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've disabled Quiet boot now.
I've read that link and set Powergear to maximum settings. Do you have any other suggestions on specific settings that might be causing issues?
At the time that Speccy scan was done I had uninstalled my antivirus as it had been causing internet usage of over 2 gigs per day when idle. I have now installed microsoft security essentials and Malware bytes without those issues.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update LANCE_1313 :thumbsup:

How is the computer behaving now.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
It's actually been quite good. We've done a lot so it's tough to pin point exactly where the issue dramatically improved. I have not had a crash for at least a few days. When playing games I get momentary slow downs at times that do not appear to be due to lag spikes but it's hard to say that for sure. At times I get momentary hang ups where the sound replays in a loop. This is one of the ways that the comp has frozen and crashed in the past but at this point it's always recovering after about 1 second. Overall is a large improvement. I'm concerned that it will deteriorate in the future if is has been a hardware issue but I'm not sure that anything can be done about that other than wait and see.

As a side note, I'm incredibly appreciative of the time you've spent helping me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for your latest update LANCE_1313 :thumbsup:

I am pleased to hear that things have improved somewhat, would you like to do some spring cleaning of the HDD to see if it helps things further, there is nothing drastic to it such as tinkering with hardware or settings etc.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
yeah, that would be great.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
A fair bit to do so please take your time getting through it all;

My next suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

http://www.afterdawn..._in_windows.cfm

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your AV software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Ran autoruns and attached the text file.
Ran TFC without issue. Got rid of 12 gigs worth of stuff.
Defragged with that program. Ran it a few times but when it finishes it still says i have 3.92 gigs of junk files. Is there anyway to deal with this?
thought I'd hear your suggestions from autoruns before I started disabling in msconfig

thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

No Autoruns results I`m afraid Lance :unsure: other than that you have done well :)

Advertisements

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Blast... Second try

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Sorry to be a pest but can you refer to the tutorial link that I provided - Filter out Microsoft & Windows Results?http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/analyze_all_autorun_auto-start_programs_in_windows.cfm this will make both of our lives and the results easier to read :thumbsup:

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Not a pest. Let me know if I can make it better some way.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If you require instant access to any of the following on boot leave them checked, the others can be unchecked in Autoruns, please create a new restore point first;

FileHippo.com" "FileHippo.com Update Checker"
"Stardock Fences
"Defraggler
"WinRAR"
Java
AppleSoftwareUpdate"
CCleaner
"SkypeUpdate"

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
done and dusted.
Any thoughts on the 3.92 gig of junk files found in the defrag program?
Any other suggestions?
again, thanks for the help