Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows - Wipedrive Method

• Please log in to reply

zoheb

zoheb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I just love this software and have been using for many years (wipedrive). I used wipedrive 7 to completely erase all data from my harddreive in windows 7. I have done this many times but on this pc it was furst. When I rebooted computer I get message - press del to enter efi bios setting. The f8 and f2 menu options donot work anymore. I cant load a windows cd or from usb as I cant even get in Bios. When I press del repeatedly, nothing happens. tried numpad too. My keyboard and harddrive are perfectly fine. This has never happened before. I also resetted bios by using cmos and jumpers strategy. I cant get in bios either. Can u help im stuck. My pc is desktop Asus cm1740. Can u please guide me as to how I can approach with this issue. I have exhausted all options, Surely many people must be facing this.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday zoheb, Posted Image
The CMOS battery may be flat or, even though you are shorting out using the jumpers, some resadue power may still be in the system.

Q. What OS have you installed?

Try this.
Turn off the power but do not disconnect from the wall socket.
Take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare part of the case.
Remove the CMOS battery.
Move the jumper over to short out the pins and press and hold in the power on button for about 20 seconds.
Install a new CMOS battery.
Reposition the jumper to the correct pins.
Switch on the power and boot.
Rapidly tap the DEL key (usually, but if fails, reboot and try other keys.)

zoheb

zoheb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii,

thnx for replying.

im trying to install windows 7.

Well the pc is less than one year old. Im ruling out the possibility of cmos battery for now but may try it later.

I disconnected my hardrive and was finally able to get into bios. Is this a good or bad thing.

I changed IDE0 to Raid and the other option as raid. It now detects my hardrive too.

I finally started windows 7 setup.

Just as I was proceeding, it failed to find the hardrive. Now it says load drivers for mass storage device,

I downloaded the latest drivers on usb. Yes it now detects usb now.

Tried everything but it still says after installation no drives found.

Stuck again.

zoheb

zoheb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED (SOLUTION) - PRESS DEL TO ENTER BIOS / DELETE BUTTON NOT WORKING / CANT GET TO BIOS

Step 1 - You need to open your casing and disconnect the wires from hardrive
Step 2 - Congratulations you will get access to BIOS
Step 3 - In the hardisk - storage menu of BIOS instead of using IDE use all option to RAID
Step 4 - Connect your hardrive wires
Step 5 - Now you will get access to BIOS with harddrive but you need to partition it
Step 6 - I went into my BIOS and used Atheros ROM,
Step 7 - Restart your computer and keep pressing CTRL F
Step 8 - You can see your hardrive now, just use the Secure Erase Option. This will take time
Step 9 - Restart computer, go into BIOS and change settings to IDE.
Step 10 - Now you can peacefully install Windows .

I know this is a long process but better than buying a new computer. THIS DEFINITELY WORKS............

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
:confused:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

zoheb" method may work but you would still be in IDE.

unless you are actually configuring your drives, (min of 2) as a RAID configuration? you should have AHCI set in the BIOS.. If you do not have the MB user manual, please download it from the manufacturers website as it will give specific instructions for configuring different RAID areas.

Tried everything but it still says after installation no drives found.

This is because the OS is looking for RAID drivers which have not been installed. During windows setup one of the first screens is, Press F6 if you want to install 3rd party drivers.

To prevent further issues, I would do a clean install of the OS.

Go back into the BIOS, load default setting, save and exit. When the system loads.
Restart, enter bios, check that AHCI is selected,
Ensure the setup disk is in the optical drive. Save settings and exit.
Clean install windows, watch for the F6 prompt (appropriate setting in BIOS) if you want to install RAID divers.

NB. Please ignore ref to SATA drivers. image is just to show the prompt screen.