Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building an upgraded PC help

• Please log in to reply

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Would it be worth upgrading what I have right now in the long run? Or just go ahead and upgrade now?

It all depends,is your pc you have now serving you,if any upgrades going to improve that? Compare this to newer hardware and your best guess in the long run..saying this hardware may not be as cheap as it is now and you run the course of having obsolete hardware if you stay with your current hardware..Also saying that you could do a comparison benchmark to see where your system stands with the current hardware out there...I did a comparison benchmark test on my pc and it was only 5 marks below an i7 980...not to bad i thought since my pc is going on 7 years now,i have upgraded the psu and the gpu..

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

After all this time, a clean install will help no end + upgrade RAM to 4GB.
Of the 2 boards, I think the GA-EP45-UD3L (6 SATA headers) is the better, > Please click on compare now !2 http://www.gigabyte..../main.aspx?ck=2

If that offer from Newegg is for an OEM licenced version, please remember it is not transferable to another system. You can transfer to another system if it is a full retail licenced version, but can only be installed on one system at a time.

edit to add.

If a clean install and a 4GB RAM purchase, using your existing OS, is still not satisfactory, you could than look at a more substantial upgrade.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
WHat memory would you recommend for my current system..?

Here is a benchmark of my current system:

Verified NovaBench Score: 580

Test run on May 28, 2013
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz running at 2333 MHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT GPU

2047 MB System RAM (Score: 108)
- RAM Speed: 4162 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 224)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 50854270
- Integer Operations/Second: 135562178
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 786577

Graphics Tests (Score: 240)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 700

Hardware Tests (Score: 8)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 233 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 9 MB/s

How can I compare this to the AMD setup you are suggesting?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That seems a pretty high score, looking at the charts, the average is
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz 221

AMD A105800K APU with Radeon HD Graphics 408
I don't know how valid such a comparison would be or of doing it another way.

Run this tool, > http://www.crucial.c.../systemscanner/
You do not have to buy from the site. Please let us know the results.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Guaranteed-compatible upgrades for your GA-EP45-UD3L (rev. 1.0)

QUICK CONFIGURATIONS
2GB 1GB
current memory
1GB
current memory
EMPTY EMPTY We've created quick upgrade options for your system!
View Quick Configurations
COMPUTER MEMORY

8GB Kit (4GBx2)
DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 512Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT2KIT51264AA667

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Memory:
DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 16GB
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Total Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 2

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I think i'm gonna get this G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

For now and do a clean install of Windows XP and see what happens

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Just spotted Post #23. That RAM will not work, has the wrong voltage, the board would not support it without overclocking and I doubt you could get it stable.
As you are not into video/photo editing, 4GB would be good, 8GB would be overkill and, would cost $120 +.. Very expensive compared to DDR3.

The listed Mushkin is the same as you have installed, the Crucial is the right specs, the G.Skill is lower latency, but will still work.

> http://www.newegg.co...5E20-231-120-TS

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thank you very much for all of the help! I will get some RAM and see what happens.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday civiccrazy.

Time for some humble pie. I was incorrect in saying the G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) would not work. In most cases it will be OK. I am not trying to wiggle out, but some explanation is needed.
With the BIOS RAM detect set to auto, when installing RAM natively supported by the CPU and MB, it will run at that speed.
If you install higher speed RAM, it will default to the highest supported speed of the system
To run the RAM at the higher speed you can enable XMP in the BIOS, providing the modules and BIOS support it, or you can manually set the speed, latency and voltage.
Not advisable to try running 3 sticks, that would give you poorer performance or not post at all.

Before the fresh install.
It might be worth looking at a BIOS update using the Gigabyte build in utilities, and after using the MB driver disk, update them as well.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday civiccrazy
How is the build progressing? An update would be appreciated.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I installed the new ram I think it was Thursday night (6-6), and re-installed windows. I put Windows XP x64 on it instead of the 32. It is running great! Just re-installing all of the programs I had on here before. Thank you for all of the help. I was thinking about putting the 2GB of Ram I had in originally, back in. SO that would make 6GB. Would that help me at all or just be pointless?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update, Great news, Posted Image

With 64 bit OS you could max out that board but, matching size of sticks, you would need 2x2GB to match your existing giving you 8GB. Adding the 2x1GB would not work.
Glad to have helped, We are here should you need any further assistance.