Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From Win 7 32bit to Win 7 64 bit?

• Please log in to reply

oawad81

oawad81

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm about to upgrade my computer which is long overdue. I'm not a fan of windows 8, so I plan to stick with windows 7 but change to the 64bit as i currently have the 32 bit which does not support enough RAM to my liking. I would like to avoid spending hours re-installing all my data. I have 3 hard drives that i will also be upgrading to SATA.

What backup software is best to use for the HD containing my OS?

Is there a good software for me to use to clone all 3 hard drives into one new SATA?

What software will I need to update the registry for the programs after they are moved to the new SATA?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What would be the point in backing up a 32bit system when you intend to replace it with a 64bit OS?

Are these drives internal or external and what do you mean by upgrading to SATA?

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Also does your PC support 64-bit OS even? I wouldn't think that it would if it came with a 32-bit OS on it.

oawad81

oawad81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@Tech Staff
What would be the point in backing up a 32bit system when you intend to replace it with a 64bit OS?

The point of backing it up is simple, to be able to revert back in the event anything goes wrong with the important data i have during the switch.

Are these drives internal or external and what do you mean by upgrading to SATA?

SATA (Serial ATA) is an internal hard drive interface which replace the ATA/parallel ATA (which i have), meaning no external hard drives (USB)

@Member
Also does your PC support 64-bit OS even? I wouldn't think that it would if it came with a 32-bit OS on it.

My computer is not store bought, I buy the parts I want and put it together myself, that means I also buy the OS for it.
When I put my current computer together windows xp still existed and the programs I use were not supported by it.

Edited by oawad81, 28 May 2013 - 11:24 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
So in theory you are saying that your motherboard, along with the PSU, supports connections for IDE drives but what you have failed to mention is whether they support SATA connections.

In fact let us dwell fondly on hard drives of all manner for a moment to recollect that there are indeed 4 types which are thus; IDE (PATA), SATA, SSD and last but not least SCSI.

Important data such as executables, pictures and documents etc can simply be transferred to any given internal or external drive to be returned once you have installed Win 7 64bit.

oawad81

oawad81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

So in theory you are saying that your motherboard, along with the PSU, supports connections for IDE drives but what you have failed to mention is whether they support SATA connections.

In fact let us dwell fondly on hard drives of all manner for a moment to recollect that there are indeed 4 types which are thus; IDE (PATA), SATA, SSD and last but not least SCSI.

Important data such as executables, pictures and documents etc can simply be transferred to any given internal or external drive to be returned once you have installed Win 7 64bit.

I am putting together a brand new "everything". Without dwelling fondly on hard drives, I am only asking in regards to the best software to preform backups and cloning of a parallel ATA hard drive to a SATA hard drive. The data I wish to move is tied into programs which are in turn tied to the OS, thus my question about updating the registry.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
http://www.acronis.c...ucts/trueimage/