Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't open specific folder

• Please log in to reply

Hamerhead

Hamerhead

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone.
Through Jaksta (audio/video recorder), I recorded many youtube clips which automatically go in to "My streaming video" folder. It was working fine for long time. Last week I downloaded more clips from youtube and the downloading folder started to freeze also in explorer. Removed jaksta for now but still freezing, Did chkdsk c: /f /r which helped a bit since there was some issue with other clip in different folder so now I can open the "My streaming video" folder but freezes after clicking any clip in that folder. I tried to delete last clips I made but it freezes after right clicking or even before I slide down to see it properly.
Thanks for tips.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
One possibility: If your system slows down or freezes when you open a folder that contains large video files, it could be XP creating thumbnail views of all image files (jpg/mpg/avi/tiff/gif/png/etc.) in that directory. If the video files are large, it takes a long time for XP to read the file and extract a frame to create a thumbnail from. You can stop XP from doing this as follows:

Use ShellExView to disable 'Video Thumbnail Extractor.'

Hamerhead

Hamerhead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for reply. I done it but it still freeze the pc. When I close the window to return to the desktop it removes all icons (From the desktop) for about 2-3 seconds and then they come back. The issue started all the sudden after downloading some youtube clips (not large). The downloader had some troubles to record it so I had to delete and record again till it was fine. I tried to remove those clips in safe mode and they weren't even displayed. Restore wasn't enabled so I was stuck on the day I recorded those clips. I wonder if there any other path to get to those clips so I can exterminate them. Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
One way: How to Create and Use a Linux Mint Mate USB Flash Drive

Linux Mint Mate is very "Windows" like. Use it to delete the files you want to get rid of.