Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp pro

• Please log in to reply

rwalton3111

rwalton3111

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have a hp 5800 small form factor business desktop running xp pro.about a month ago it stopped shutting down properly.it just keeps rebooting.i started turning it off manually by holding the power button in until it turned off.( 3 or 4 seconds)a couple weeks later i got a black screen saying the date and time was messed up and asked me to hit the F1 key to boot.now the cmos battery was probably at least 5 or 6 years old on the motherboard.i pulled one out of another pc i had that was probably 5 or 6 years old too.2 weeks later it did the same thing with the date and time.i bought a new battery and installed it ,then reinstalled windows xp pro.it still won't turn off the regular way.everything works great other than not shutting down.would turning it off manually like that drain the cmos baattery?

Advertisements

Schnell

Schnell

• Pip
  • 9 posts
From what I understood I assume it's some sort of softare>hardware relationship error. Maybe you should try TuneUp Utilities and check for some hardware/software conflict.

When you said "reinstalled" did you meant "formatting and then installing"? or just installed to "WINDOWS.0"?

At the device manager program, did you check you've got all the latest drivers? or perhaps some driver is missing or not fully installed?

Try using another OS in the same PC, if you get the same issue then it's hardware what's messing around for sure.

Edited by Schnell, 28 May 2013 - 03:48 PM.

rwalton3111

rwalton3111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
YES,WHEN I RUN THE DISCS IT ALWAYS FORMATS THE HARD DRIVE BEFORE IT INSTALLS XP PRO

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try this.

Open Task Manager.
Click on Processes then click on the CPU column header twice so the display is sorted by CPU Utilization, descending.
Shutdown the computer.
Keep an eye on Task Manager and see if you can spot what is causing the hang. If it's not obvious, start killing processes one at a time. Hopefully when you kill the one causing the hang, the system will shutdown. Post the name here and also search Google for it, see if anything useful pops up.

Schnell

Schnell

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Do what Ztruker says; kill processes.

My perception of things:
As most of the software save usage log to a *.ini file or any other file when they get shut, it seems like a program doesn't have permission to create/overwrite a file, so this is what happens:

Program: Save file
Win32: Blocked suspicious action
Program: Save File
Win32: Blocked suspicious action

And it happens so over and over until you get mad and force shutdown.

Does this happens when ending session?

Have you tried shutting down the pc by the "shutdown.exe" way?