Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 install disk can't detect hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Raphunderwood

Raphunderwood

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all, I recently bought a bundle computer thinking it would be less hassle (I built my own comps in the past), only to find that I can't get it working. Essentially, the BIOS knows there's a hard drive on my computer, but the windows 7 install disk does not.

I've tried a number of things: 1) I tried using the utility disk that came with the motherboard to install a SATA AHCI driver (the windows installer allows you to search the computer for drivers that might help it locate your HDD). What's weird is that while the explorer window is open for you to find drivers to install, it can see the HDD exists; clearly it must not see it as a viable drive for installing.
2) I fiddled with the BIOS, switching from IDE to ACHI since the drivers are meant for ACHI, although some quick googling seemed to think this was not the problem.
3) I installed the HDD as an internal drive in my other desktop, which recognises it and allows me to use it as a storage device.
4) Again while installed on my other comp, I formatted it, and checked that it has been partitioned.
5) Again, installed on the other comp, I tried to install windows 7 on it, as I had head it is possible to install a second OS on a second HDD from within your current OS on the primary drive. Again, the Windows 7 installer does not recognise it as a viable location for installation, even though the OS can see it and allow me to store data on it!!

I'm starting to get dangerously close to my wit's end, and I would appreciate any and all help.

If you want to know the specs for the bundle I purchased, see here: http://www.aria.co.u...productId=54934

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you connected the HDD to a sata connector that is also the Primary boot in Boot Options?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi Raphunderwood,

This can sound strange but try installing from USB. I have seen some reports for similar cases where doing this solved the problem and can also be faster installing Windows.

You will need a USB flash drive of 4GB or more and a Windows 7 ISO, check this tutorial:
How to create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive

Edited by SleepyDude, 30 May 2013 - 02:57 AM.

Raphunderwood

Raphunderwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
In the end I resolved this issue by happening across an old SATA HDD I had kept lying around, which once installed was detected by the win 7 installer. I know it's a bit of a cop out, but my problem is solved as far as I'm concerned.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Thanks for letting us know mate. :thumbsup:

Chris222444

Chris222444

• Pip
  • 3 posts
here is what I did when windows 7 refuses your hard drive
find an old windows XP setup disk and hit enter when the cd is in your computer and says to hit enter
then wait for the setup screen to appear on the CD
then delete the windows OS installed on the hard rive by typing the letter it says to delete the OS
then after you are done install windows 7 again and your hard rive should be able to read when installing windows 7 over.
This has worked for me several times I believe if you do this it should allow you to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 without any problems.
Did this on my brothers computer worked 100 % be sure to follow all instructions when using XP disk to delete partitions and installations you have created
then after all this is deleted do a fresh copy of windows 7.