Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating CPU

• Please log in to reply

abusimbel

abusimbel

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with the hardware issue I am having. My CPU keeps overheating and emergency switching off the computer!

This usually happens when running processor heavy applications, namely transcoding HD Video to another format and playing games.

Here is what I have already attempted:

1. New better heatsink and fan and thermal paste.
2. Completely cleaned computer.

Two years ago this HP Pavilion Slimline developed a fault and was sent back to HP for a repair under the warranty. After I got the computer back it seemed to work fine until about six months later when I needed to edit HD video. Every time it would overheat. It was out of the warranty at that point. So I've been unable to do certain things with the computer. There is also very slight damage to the corner of the CPU but it still works. Perhaps this corner damage is what is causing it to overheat?

My question is: Could there be a BIOS/Software issue that is causing the computer to miss read the temperature of the CPU? The Fan becomes very loud just before the computer cuts out.

I've replaced the heatsink which didn't make any difference. Perhaps I need a new CPU.

Thanks again for any advice.

Windows 7 Professional on a HP Pavilion Slimline, AMD Athlon II x4 635

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday abusimbel.
What model/number is the HP?
What heat-sink/fan is currently fitted?
When you installed the cooler, did you completely clean off the TIM from both the CPU top and the Heat-sink plate?
Is your system over-clocked and you are not aware of it?

Please download and run HWMonitor, > http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html
Have the monitor running, expand all fields run the program that causes crashes. Try to take a sceenshot, before it crashes, please attach and post with your next reply.

abusimbel

abusimbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi iammykyl,

Thanks for your reply!
Here are the details of my model of computer:

HP Pavilion Slimline s5660uk Desktop PC Product
Product number
XH785EA
Release date
9/7/2010
Country/region sold in

United Kingdom
Manufacturer: Pegatron
Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
Processor socket: AM3
Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot
AMD Athlon II X4 635
Figure 2: AMD Athlon II logo
Image of AMD logo

Operating speed: Up to 2.9 GHz
Number of cores: 4
Socket: AM3

The heat sink is: LOKI SD963
I thoroughly cleaned the thermal paste before applying new paste. Also, the computer started overheating like this after having been serviced by Hewlett Packard. It overheated before I changed the heatsink and after. It also overheated before I changed the graphics card and after.

So I've done as you said and photographed the CPUID Screen while running Adobe Premiere and transcoding some home hd video.
The report image is attached

Thanks so much for taking a look at this!

Attached Thumbnails

• cpuid.jpg

abusimbel

abusimbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Oh! I forgot to mention the photograph was taken about 1 second before the computer cut out. Lucky timing!

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Just chiming in while iammykyl is occupied with another topic;

From the reply #2 of iammykyl

What is the answer please.

Your processor is cooking and it looks like it may be caused by over voltage, this can be caused by overclocking or a flaky PSU.

The specs for your processor are below;
V core 1.1V - 1.4V
Maximum operating temperature 55°C - 71°C

HWMonitor is not showing the PSU output so try Speedfan for us;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

abusimbel

abusimbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Thanks for your help! Shall I take a screenshot while running the the processor heavy application as before (trying to take the pick just before cut out) or during normal usage?

Thanks!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That was good timing, and lucky it does shut down, getting very close to temps where damage can occur.
I can't say why you had high temps in the past, but for the present issue, probable a poor installation, this due to to bad design, not you.
Please read this review, Re, installation. Let us know what you think.
> http://www.hardwares...r-Review/1403/1

abusimbel

abusimbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello again,

For some reason the program isn't showing the Vcore data. When I installed the speedfan program a window popped up saying something about Sensors detected Gforce...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Phillpower2.
Thanks for coming and your helpful suggestions. I forgot about screenshot instructions.

Signing off for this morning.

Aside. Must sort out why recent other posts are delayed and don't show up until I post.

Hooroo.

abusimbel

abusimbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks iammykyl,

I'll put my factory supplied heatsink and fan back in when I have a second. Doesn't look like the new one is very good. I'll let you know how that works out. Do you think there is a chance that Hewlett Packard set the voltages wrong when they serviced the machine? Basically it was fine before it was sent to H.P. but after it came back it would overheat in this manner. Unfortunately I didn't send the computer back again while it was still under warranty.

For normal use the computer functions fine but as soon as I challenge the cpu even a bit it overheats.

Thanks again!

p.s. It doesn't look like speedfan supports my motherboard in order to show all of the data.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are welcome iammykyl :thumbsup:

From the reply #2 of iammykyl

You seem reluctant to answer this question <_<

Can you see if Speccy detectes and produces the readings that we need http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

abusimbel

abusimbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Phillpower2 and iammykyl,

So I couldn't figure out how to get the vcore readings from Speedfan so I used CPU-Z but I'm not sure if that is helpful or not. Here is a photo of the readings from both Speedfan and CPU-Z a few seconds before the computer cut out: Speedfan and cpuz.jpg

I have put the HP factory heatsink and fan back in and completely cleaned the CPU of thermal paste before applying the new stuff. The computer is still overheating at the drop of a hat.

Let me know what you think and thanks again!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry to say the Aps are still not showing the info wee need. Could be damaged sensors. But of a pain, but let's try one more.

Please download and run >http://www.piriform....wnload/standard
Please read this page so that we are able to read the results, > http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

To save you taking Pics in the future.
How to capture and post a screenshot; instructions, Thanks to Phillpower2.Posted ImageClick on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..
now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...
press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have...
click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot/s. select it/them and click on the upload button..
.then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.
Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the "how to".

abusimbel

abusimbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi iammykyl,

Thanks for your help! You guys are awesome.

http://speccy.pirifo...u44sCmpxlWmcu4y

This snapshot was taken during normal running conditions when the shut down of the computer is not going to happen. I'll send this reading now and then to catch another one while running a program that will overheat the processor.

Thanks again!!!

abusimbel

abusimbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay, here goes trying to Save the picture and send it before the computer cuts out.... (running Adobe Media Encoder CS4...)

http://speccy.pirifo...4U5oNiLHTaIFnvJ

Thanks!