Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

redirect in IE and security center goes off [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Congratulations and Good Work, It looks like your log is clean. :thumbsup:

Now for some final "housekeeping" procedures.

Step 1 - Update Java

Posted Image Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older versions of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java :
Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe, then click Remove JRE.
  • Run the built-in uninstallers for all copies of java listed
  • Click the Next button
  • Click the Next button again
  • Click the Java Manual Download link
  • A browser window will open with the Java download page
  • Click the Windows Offline (32-bit) or Windows Offline (64-bit) link to download Java (based on your browser type)
  • Run the installer
  • Close JavaRa

Step 2- Defrag your hard drive
  • Open My Computer.
  • Right-click the local disk volume that you want to defragment, and then click Properties.
  • On the Tools tab, click Defragment Now.
  • Click Defragment.

Step 3 Clear Old Restore Points

• Run OTL, copy and paste the following into the Custom Scans/Fixes area at the bottom

:Commands
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
  • Then Click Run Fix

Step 4 - OTL Cleanup

• Open OTL
  • Click the CleanUp button at the top, it will ask to reboot your PC, please allow it to do so

Step 5 - Remove ComboFix

• Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Anti Malware Protection ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware This is an excellent Anti-Malware product. It offers free malware scanning, free malware removal, and free updates. It is recommended to periodically run a Quick Scan to keep your PC as clean as possible. Remember to check for updates before running a scan, so click the Update tab along the top, then click Check for Updates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Free Antivirus Protection ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Always make sure you have an antivirus program! If for some reason in the future you'd like to switch programs here are some recomendations: Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast! Antivirus both are FREE to use. Please remember that you can only have one Antivirus installed at a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Free Firewall Programs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If for some reason in the future you'd like to switch, Comodo Personal Firewall and Sunbelt Personal Firewall are two good options for a FREE firewall to help protect your computer from any unwanted intruders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Staying Updated ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keeping your PC updated is important to protect yourself against future infections. There are many infections which will exploit loopholes within Windows itself, Java and Adobe Reader. Keeping these updated is a very good habit to get into.

Automatic Updates Updates to your Operating System are vital in closing loopholes and fixing bugs which some infections exploit. To keep your Windows updated, ensure that 'Automatic Updates' is enabled on your PC so updates are downloaded and installed automatically. Click here to find out how.

File Hippo Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programs on your system need updating and give a download link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Alternate Browsers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using an alternative web browser can help protect your PC from infections which exploit security holes within Internet Explorer. They can also be quicker to load pages and offer more tools and features such as Firefox's huge add-on list.

Firefox - My personal choice, easy to use and has a large number of excellent add-ons that can be installed to help keep you away from malicious sites and reduce advertisements and popups etc. AdBlockPlus and WOT are very useful add-ons that are worth having installed.

Google Chrome - Is another browser that's easy to use and is worth trying if you want to test out new browsers.

Happy surfing! :wave:

Advertisements

trickydicky

trickydicky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
1. Done,

2. The tool says drive C; does not need defragmentation

3. Here is the log:
========== COMMANDS ==========
Unable to stop System Restore Service. Error code 1717. Restore points not cleared.
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 06102013_142442

4. Done

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
You might keep an eye on the defragmentation. According to Security Check it was 11% and may need to be done soon.

Let's go ahead and get all the old restore points cleaned out. If for some reason you need to use one we'd hate for you to end up using one that still has infection present.

• Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Click Disc Cleanup
  • Now launch this utility and click More Options tab.
  • Under which click System Restore and followed by that click Clean Up tab a message will popup -Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point? Click Yes then OK.
  • Finally another message will popup- Are you sure you want to perform these actions? Click Yes.
  • Now, all the System Restore points except the most recent one are cleaned.

If clearing the old restore points works and all else is running well, let me know and I will have this thread closed. :)

trickydicky

trickydicky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Jasmyne,

I did the cleanup of the restore points, but I did't have this:

Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point? Click Yes then OK

I also went through defregmentation, so all is done, and the computer seems to be runnig OK.

:cheers:

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts

Thanks Jasmyne,

I did the cleanup of the restore points, but I did't have this:

Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point? Click Yes then OK

I also went through defregmentation, so all is done, and the computer seems to be runnig OK.

:cheers:

You're welcome! Glad I was able to help. It's good that you were able to perform the cleanup for the restore points, I'll have to double check those steps when I get back on my XP computer later. If all is running well, I'll have my instructor close this topic. If you have any other questions or issues just let me know! :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.