Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Content of External Hard drive can not open

• Please log in to reply

nihon94

nihon94

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

I got four external drives the 2 TB Transcend (USB 2) is newly bought while rest are older.

The drive giving problem is Baffalo (may be 300 GB) USB 1. So, far I did not face any problem but today when I wanted to open document I find out that on My computer It is showing the used and un used space but when click Icon to open it says empty. Computer can recognize drive, even can see drive in Disk Management. Just don't know why I can see saved documents?

I did right click properties/Tools/Error check but nothing changed.

Any advice will be appreciated.

PS* if I click properties I can see back up feature, I wonder if I back up the drive on 2 TB drive is it a good idea?

Thank you

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Can you provide a screen shot of the Buffalo drive in Disk Management please Nihon.

nihon94

nihon94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Can you provide a screen shot of the Buffalo drive in Disk Management please Nihon.

Thank you for reply. I have attached two screen shots.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Disk Managment.jpg
  • 1 H hard drive.jpg

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Even though it is showing and appearing to be ok in Disk Management I would suggest that the drive is faulty.

You can try backing it up to the 2TB and that actually could be the acid test.

Try that and tell us how you go on mate.

nihon94

nihon94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Even though it is showing and appearing to be ok in Disk Management I would suggest that the drive is faulty.

You can try backing it up to the 2TB and that actually could be the acid test.

Try that and tell us how you go on mate.

If it is faulty when I ran virus software to check it was running but I stopped.
It seems just not showing up but data is there.
Any way as there is a lot of data on drive when backup will be done let you know.

Thank you.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please do Nihon and you're welcome. :thumbsup:

nihon94

nihon94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did one experiment, I got a software to check folder size. I use that and choose the drive giving me trouble. What I got could be seen in the screen shot. It seems when I had ran disk error utility it created chk folder/files. Now question is how to restore any idea?

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2a File check.jpg
  • 2 File check.jpg