if she decides that she wants the sidebar and/or OneNote to start on boot, are there instructions for how to reenable them?
The computer appears to be clean and as I haven’t heard from you for a couple of days I’m assuming that all is well.
Now that it’s free from malware, as long as the computer seems to be running well, please follow these simple steps to tidy up and decrease the likelihood of getting infected again:Uninstall CombofixFollow these steps to uninstall Combofix
Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there
- click START then RUN
- now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK.
- please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
- once it's finished uninstalling itself you will receive a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully.
- double-click OTL.exe
- click the CleanUp! button.
- select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? prompt appears.
- if you are prompted to reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
- the tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.
: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTL attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.
- double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool
- click on Uninstall
- confirm with Yes.
You can delete all other logs and programs we’ve used that are on your desktop. Just click on them and press Delete
===================================================Update installed programs
Your versions of Adobe Reader is out-of-date and needs to be updated.
- click on Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features
- scroll down the list and look for Adobe Reader 10.1.7, click on it and then on Remove.
and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader.
Having the latest updates ensures there are no security vulnerabilities in your system.
. SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them. It blocks over 11,000 bad sites and uses no resources of your computer.
===================================================Re-enable Spybot - Search and Destroy’s TeaTimer
- open Spybot Search & Destroy
- go to the Mode menu and make sure Advanced Mode is selected
- choose Yes at the Warning prompt
- expand the “Tools” menu
- click Resident
- check the Resident TeaTimer (Protection of overall system settings) active. box
- in the File menu click Exit to exit Spybot Search & Destroy
- if Teatimer gives you a warning that changes were made, click Allow Change when prompted.
exit Spybot S&D.
Remember to scan your computer with the program on a regular basis as you would with your anti-virus software.
Update and run Malwarebytes
. This really is an excellent program that you should also update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.
===================================================It’s important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.FileHippo Update Checker
is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated.
file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.
A couple of links with information here
which can answer any questions you might have about installing/using it.
===================================================I also recommend that you read the following:How to prevent malware
I will keep this open for 24 hours in case you have any problems, after which I’ll close the topic.