Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezes and is slow [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

TheHalls

TheHalls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi 23red;

My apologies. I did not get the email that you had posted to me on the 25th so when I sent the message yesterday, I did not look above and see the new one so I have not done what you asked there. I will do so tomorrow and send you the results.

Thanks again, hope you had a good weekend.

The Halls

Advertisements

TheHalls

TheHalls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi 23red;

I decided to do the fixes tonight. The only extensions on the chrome toolbar is Ad Block Plus. We have only been using Chrome for a few weeks on this computer. We had been using IE for the past year. I downloaded the "Disable windows sidebar and gadgets fixit utility" and then rebooted. The OTL fix log is below. I don't think we need to do anything about Java. In the few weeks since we uninstalled it, we haven't missed it that I can tell. Thanks.

========== OTL ==========
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}\ deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\\mctadmin deleted successfully.
Registry value HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\\mctadmin deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\{3c7b6fc8-594a-11e1-9c1c-806e6f6e6963}\ deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3c7b6fc8-594a-11e1-9c1c-806e6f6e6963}\ not found.
Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\{3c7b6fc8-594a-11e1-9c1c-806e6f6e6963}\ not found.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3c7b6fc8-594a-11e1-9c1c-806e6f6e6963}\ not found.
File D:\Setup.EXE not found.
========== COMMANDS ==========
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 06302013_225235

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi TheHalls :)

I do so apologize for the delay!
I've done some investigating. My knowledge is more Malware Removal. In an effort to get you the most comprehensive help, what I'd like to do is send you over to the Hardware, Components and Peripherals forum. They are more knowledgable in the area and better equipt to assist you further in case it's more than just a driver issue. But first, I need to clean up my tools so you're sent over clean. You may reference this post so they know you've been cleared and in case they want to see what has been done.

What we're doing here is creating a fresh new clean system restore point, and removing OTL. The process will remove most/all of the tools used and logs created during the cleanup process.
After it is finished, OTL will remove itself. This is so that if you are ever infected again you will download the most current copy of the tool.:
Wording is slightly different from before, I'm sure you'll get it :D

1.Clean up with OTL:

• Right-click OTL and select Run as Administrator to start the program.
  • Copy the lines from the quote box(do not copy the word quote) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:Commands
[CreateRestorePoint]

• Return to OTL, right-click in the Custom Scans/Fixes window (under the cyan bar) and choose Paste.
  • Then click the red Run Fix button.
  • Let the program run unhindered. When finished click on OK and close the log that appears.
  • Note: I do not need to review the log produced.
  • Now close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot.
  • On the OTL main screen, depress the CleanUp button.
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2. Remove AdwCleaner

Reopen AdwCleaner

Click on the Uninstall button

Posted Image

A confirmation window will open

Posted Image

Confirm by clicking Yes

3. Remove SecurityCheck

Right click and select Delete to remove SecurityCheck.exe.

All my tools are now uninstalled :)

4.Restore Points

To be sure that your computer is not keeping a backup of any of the malware we have just removed I will need you to clear your restore points.
Use Disk Cleanup to delete restore points and free hard disk space on your computer.

Disk Cleanup deletes all but the most recent restore point on your computer. In some editions of Windows Vista, restore points can include previous versions of files. Those previous versions will also be deleted.

1. Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button ~> All Programs ~> Accessories ~> System Tools and then clicking Disk Cleanup.

2. In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, click Files from all users on this computer. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

4. Click the More Options tab.

5. Under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up, and then, in the confirmation dialog box, click Delete.

6. To continue using Disk Cleanup for other drives on your computer, click the Disk Cleanup tab.
To quit Disk Cleanup, click Cancel.

Your Antivirus and Firewall are set. You have Malwarebytes on your computer ~ Use it often it's a great tool to have. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean!

When installing\updating ANY program, make sure you always select Custom installation, so you can UN-check any possible "drive-by-install" (foistware), like toolbars etc., which may try to install along with the legitimate program. Do NOT click "Next" button without looking at any given page.

5.Windows Updates

It is critical to have both a firewall and an anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated, and to keep your operating system up to date make sure Windows Updates are kept current:

A major essential is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vunerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.
If they are not already or if you need to check:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start Orb. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want. Recommended setting: Install updates automatically

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

This thread will be kept open for a couple days ~ if you have any more questions or have any trouble, please let me know.

Don't forget to post in the Hardware, Components and Peripherals
forum! They'll take real good care of you :)

It was my pleasure to have assisted you thus far.
Have an Excellent Day and Surf Safe ;)

TheHalls

TheHalls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi23red,

I have done all the things you requested in your previous post. I also saved the link to the Hardware.. site. I truly appreciate all the time and effort you have given to us in working to solve our problems.

Hope you had a great 4th and all the best to you.

The Halls

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi TheHalls!
Excellent :D and you are most welcome! Thank you, I had a great 4th.
Please post to completly fix your issues. They will be able to help better and definately at a faster pace than I. Go for it!
Surf Safe!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,684 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.